SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have just picked up my 9-3 Vector Sport 1.9 TDI and the car is better than the high expectations that I had of it.

One thing though that I would have liked to have had included is the DRL {daylight running lights}, they aren't standard in the UK and even though I asked to have them included when I placed the order for my car I was told DRL aren't even an available option in the UK !

I can't figure out this step back in safety, it used to be on the cars in the UK and I can't figure out why Saab would remove them ? and not only that refuse to make them an available option on the cars.

I spend part of my year in Canada and the rest of it in the UK, Canada made DRL mandatory years ago, so all the cars in Canada have them, and I certainly prefer to be seen by other motorists & pedestrians, so the lack of DRL's in the UK amazes me.

I know that DRL's never caught on in the UK and that driving with lights on during the day time gets you lots of flashes from folks who aren't used to seeing them, but even so I think that if they do save lives then we should at least have the option to have them, even if it isn't the Law in the UK.

I guess it isn't just a case of them not being on because the fuse isn't there, {as the fuse box has a place for the DRL fuse, but putting a fuse in there doesn't help}, so it must be the wiring harness ?

It's all a mystery to me why Saab {a company that prides itself on the safety features of its cars} takes DRLs off...

I'd appreciate any comments, thoughts or ideas that you guys have.

Canada Bob.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm with you, Canada Bob. I too like the DRL's and find it a bit odd that people over here often want remove them. I feel that they do add a certain amount of safety, not only to myself and anyone in my car, but also to pedestrians and other vehicles around me.

I would be quite surprised if DRLs couldn't be enabled on a UK car. Options like this are usually just configuration changes using the Tech II handheld terminal that every dealer has.

I expect the answer is that you need to insert the missing fuse AND have your dealer make a Tech II change, to the North American settings, not Rest-Of-World settings which yours would now have.

Do a search on ROW. You will find instructions on how to disable the DRLs. Your dealer will need to reverse the instructions to enable them instead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Canada Bob said:
Hi,

One thing though that I would have liked to have had included is the DRL {daylight running lights}, they aren't standard in the UK and even though I asked to have them included when I placed the order for my car I was told DRL aren't even an available option in the UK !
Can't you just leave your lights on all the time?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got my TDI 150 a month ago. Are you sure you can't get them activated at the 30 check?

Coming from a Volvo that had DRL's I just leave my headlights on all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my 04 vert last May and the light switch determines whether DRLs are on or off. Benefit is that I do not have to remember to turn them off, or on for that matter:cheesy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

re the DRL's, yea sure I could leave the light switch to the on position that would work, and I might do that, but somehow it just doesn't seem to be the same. Just that I find it odd that a company who prides itself on the safety features of its vehicles would take DRL's off when they have been shown to save lives and not just of pedestrians.

Can't relate to why they would remove such a good safety feature that in Canada and other places is mandatory ? must be some reason they took it off ?

Anyway I appreciate all the comments, and it's nice to hear from someone in BC {near bought a home in Naniamo 4 years ago}... Here's one for you though, what's the warmest Province in Canada ? ;)

Canada Bob, {ex Bedford, Nova Scotia}, presently at 53.33 N x 2.35 W.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
This is just a Tech II adjustment. Not a fuse to replace. In France DRL is not yet obigatory but reccomended ouside built-up areas. On my previous '98 9-3 there was a fuse to add to enable the side lights to be on all the time and this is what I wanted for my SS but it is not possible. It's headlights or nothing. I left as standard without DRL and switch on my side-lights when I get in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts