SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
For all you gents savy on this please chime in...
As some may know, I now own BrianS' 9-5 Aero creation. As much as I love this car, it has more to offer. There are a few lean sections of the tune and most of the top end is too rich. yes I know rich is better with this kind of power but 10s for Air/fuel is too rich.

Very soon, like maybe this weekend I will be recording some data with a local "Jap" tuner. We are planning on doing Boost (this is easy to tap and record), Air/Fuel (also easy to tap and record now that I have a bung installed) and RPM. This one I would like some help with. What is the cleanest and most accurate method of picking up this signal on the DI cassette? Lastly, I am looking for one more engine detail, maybe MAF? Or any suggestions. If you have suggestions, please tell me what engine function and how to tap it ;)

I think this car can see approx 460-470whp and close to that much torque. More importantly though with a good tune it will see more power more often and with more ease.

Thank you in advance for your help ;)

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Try EGT, it is a good indicator of Lean/rich conditions. You would have to find someone who has the specs to tell you where you need to be, but tuners often will use more fuel to keep EGTs low so you so not get non-lean pre-ignition.

I agree at 10s you are running pig rich, I had/have the same issue, has your o2 ( front) sensor been repalced? If it is weak it would be telling T7 that you need more fuel. I just changed mine and the car is running way better now ( almost like when it was first tuned)

My AFR is on order, just had the bung installed, so I will let you know how it reads as soon as I hook it up.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought Js

I will check into the front O2. It is hard to tell where things fall off a little with this many ponies and to make it worse I have started to get used to the power.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
greenmatt said:
Does T7 always run in closed loop or does it defer to maps for WOT/high load?
It looks for maps and T7 is "from what I heard" one of the most complex out there.

Once I get all this data recorded it is getting sent over to Fredrik at Maptun for him to work his magic. Luckily too there is a dealership called Oxygen in Colorado that I can send my 2nd ECU and they can do the flash download.

Anymore folks with some knowledge out there...???

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
How do you connect an A/F guage?

I am convinced mine is lean under load :eek:

Also what reading should the A/F be? :confused:

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
How do you connect an A/F guage?

I am convinced mine is lean under load :eek:

Also what reading should the A/F be? :confused:
Several ways, You can remove the rear O2 sensor the one after the Cat and put one from and AFR reader in there. It will be a bit ( tiny bit ) low since the Cat will scrub some fule if you are rich bt not uch more than like .2 or so.

Or you can put a reare exhaust sniffer on the tailpipe, same issue since it is behind the cat and exposed to air it may read off by .3/

less than 14.7 is rich

greater than 14.7 is lean for gasoline.

anythig between 14 and 11 is normal depending on what is gong on in the engine..

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Jssaab said:
less than 14.7 is rich

greater than 14.7 is lean for gasoline.
Woah woah woah, back the train up. You have to state that those numbers are for cruising, your engine would do 14.7 at WOT for about a second before it exploded.

For a turbocharged engine your A/f values at WOT should be somewhere in the 11:1 to 12:1 range. If it gets leaner than 12.5:1 you've got problems.

Chris, why do you think your car is lean?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^^

that's a good catch Raven. Even for a naturally aspirated engine under load will dip below into the 13s and some 12s depending on a bunch of different variables. For a highly boosted car 11.8 is the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
That's why I said....

Jssaab said:
anythig between 14 and 11 is normal depending on what is gong on in the engine..
Depending what it going on at the time

like At WOT 11 is nice... at idle 14 is normal...

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - you really did say this Js...it just sounded weird the way you said it.

OK back on the question at hand...

Can anyone tell me how to get a reading on the MAF?
Also, the best method to tap RPM off the DI cassette?

Oh how I wish Fredrik was here in the US...:(
This car is dying to show it's full potential.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Garrett said:
For all you gents savy on this please chime in...
As some may know, I now own BrianS' 9-5 Aero creation. As much as I love this car, it has more to offer. There are a few lean sections of the tune and most of the top end is too rich. yes I know rich is better with this kind of power but 10s for Air/fuel is too rich.

Lastly, I am looking for one more engine detail, maybe MAF? Or any suggestions. If you have suggestions, please tell me what engine function and how to tap it ;)
What you need is to put a REAL dataloggin system to the car, to get to the bottom what really in going on. For instance AFR alone can be missleading, since the T7 richens the AFR hevily if it senses knock and therefore you cannot assume that the AFR mapping is the problem when it might as well be the coencequence of somothing else.

when I had still T7 in the car, I did run 14-channel datalogger for data collection and analysis. Started out with a 5-chanel model + afr and later added two 4-channel boxes to the chain. Here is hook up details for the 10-channel set-up.
www.stcf.net/viggen/logger.pdf
Spits out data like this
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/logger.jpg

Loggers where from http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/
My set-up was
1 LC-1
1 LMA-3
2 SSI-4
1 XD-16

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I really appreciate this effort Vigge!! Did you know how to tune the T7 as well??? How well do you know Fredrik from Maptun??

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Garrett said:
I really appreciate this effort Vigge!! Did you know how to tune the T7 as well??? How well do you know Fredrik from Maptun??
Nope I dont tune T7, removed it from my car a half a year back.

Have been regularly in contact with Fredrik since 2002, but havent met him in person though.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Vigge said:
data re-fresrate is the first problem you will end up with if a program like autoenquity is used or any other OBD based system.
A buddy of mine has something similar to it and it's actually fairly smooth. But like I said, it's more user friendly and probably not for the hard core tuner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts