SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post. My problem are my vents. 2006 9-7x v-8 5.3L. When I am turning on my hot air/ ac the air only blows out of the vents to my windshield. It looks and sounds like an actuator problem. Does anyone have a diagnosis? DIY? Pictures? Anything would help. It is cold in Cleveland, OH! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

Update. Went to dealer. Got the actuator replaced. $80 part. $250 to have the installation. Could be cheaper if you can find a mechanic and have him order the part.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Update. Went to dealer. Got the actuator replaced. $80 part. $250 to have the installation. Could be cheaper if you can find a mechanic and have him order the part.
if its not too big of a hassle can you look at your receipt and see if they listed the part number for what was replaced? I'm having blend door issues as well as getting it to blow feet only.
Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
part number

OMGTRUCK. ;oops: Hey sorry for the delay. I'll try to get you the info later on today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just finished this and I thought I would make it easier for us Saab 9-7x owners as we all have digital climate controls unlike the majority of the others on trailvoy. And I had to do this twice because I didn't read through all 59 pages of that long trailvoy thread to find out the procedure is different for the digital climate controls....

This was Originally Posted by O4EnvoyDM on trailvoy:
"I have adjustable pedals as mentioned above. This is what I did. Remove the lower panel and the panel below the steering wheel.
Next its real simple to unbolt the gas pedal. Remove the three 10mm hex screws and just let the pedal assembly hang. You can move it wherever you can to get to the duct that is located above. My duct has a Y shape. Remove the duct. Mine came out rather hard. Note that the upper part of the duct has to fit inside another duct that is way up at the top, right under the dash.
Now you should be able to see the modules. The one closest to the firewall is the one you want. My module had a "HC" label (I think). Remove the two 5.5mm (7/32) hex screws and remove the module. When I removed the module I found that the "door" was spring loaded so the new module would not mesh with the gears on the vent door. I plugged in the new module (not mounted) and kept bumping the ignition switch until the actuator shaft was in the position as shown in post #357 of this thread. I used only the last photo or the fourth photo (note the position of the notch). The module then mounted with no problem. Install the two screws and plug in the harness. I then pulled the HVAC B fuse for a minute and put it back in. Then turned the key to on but didn't start the car. Don't touch your HVAC controls. Replace the duct, noting the upper duct that it has to fit into. This was the hardest part for me, but finally got it. Replace the gas pedal and panels.
Everything seems to work fine now."

Here is a link to post #357 on that long 59 page thread there: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=955609&postcount=357

Those are all the pictures you need with the info quoted above.

The actuator is made to be able to swing much more then it actually needs, thus re-calibrating is 100% necessary on the digital controls after install.

$30 part on amazon with free shipping, and a couple hours of work if its your first time trying.

TIP - put a bench/chair next to the door entrance floorboard and put a pillow across it to the driver floor board, it will save you a lot of unnecessary back and leg strain in that awful position you will find yourself in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GM Part : 89018675

Here it is on Amazon with customer reviews from various platforms:

Make sure you read what I wrote above... the Saab install process is a bit different from the other platform due to digital controls, the years made, and the optional power pedals which are standard on the v8s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks allot for the info. I have found and ordered the part to shipped in Greece. By the way I read there from other people (many of them owners of trailblazer or envoy) that the had this problem (the actuator failing) after a low battery issue.
This is actually what happened to me !!!
and that GM knew all about it since the begging but they haven't issued a recall !! Probably due to the cost !!
Thanks also for the advice on the installation but I will take it to Saab to replace it since the labour cost is not so expensive over here and they will do it faster than me PLUS it will save by back !!
You see for me the problem has to do with the cost of the parts rather than labour. For example they have been asking for a fuel lever switch $560 and I bought it from Amazon for $55 !!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had this happen to me this week, and after reading all the posts prepared to change the actuator. Had the same symptoms. . . randomly stopped blowing out of main vent (after an alignment). . . pulled fuse, opened up the dash and looked at actuator, not moving. Couldn't easily figure a way to get it out using socket and 7/32 (because I didn't have the 5.5mm). Went to find one, no joy at the box stores. . . but Harbor Freight had a 40pc set that had one in there. . . come home; get under there, and thought to try re-calibration again. . . nothing, then remembered I had it unplugged, plugged it back in and voila. . . back in business. Call it dumb luck, but I think you can unplug the actuator, go through the calibration and then plug it back in as if it were calibrated and it finds the place where it left off. Saved me the blind ratcheting with big hands in a small space while wondering how I would get the new one installed, with thoughts of why did I buy this SENSITIVE machine. But, I'm all good and happy now. . . Maybe just lucky, but minus well just try: 1-pull fuse (to reset), 2-pull cords from non-working actuator, 3-replace fuse, 4-re-calibrate, 5-plug cords back into actuator, and act like everything is normal again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts