SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've priced replacement dashboards on Ebay and surely there's a homebrew solution for repairing these cracks.

Filling the cracks with epoxy or putty should be trivial. But then comes the part where you have to make it look good... I'm thinking one of those fancy textured paints.

What sort of paint will bond to the vinyl of the dash (or whatever it's made of) and not bubble up/fade/peel in the sun?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
keep looking on ebay and in spare yards.

Try contacting West coast salvage yards as the head NOrth of California is not intense and we get little sun.

Oregon for example will have lots of good dashes.

I have yet to see a "repair" that looks half decent. Dash Caps are an ugly joke(no offense to anyone). I would rather have a few character lines that a hoaky cover.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Such good advice it needed to be said twice!

:cheesy:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if I'm going to replace the dash anyway, I might as well experiment with a repair on the old one instead of throwing it away; so my question still stands. Any idea what type of paint can bond to vinyl and is sun-friendly?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I'm with you, I don't want to use a dash cover. I would be removing the dash, refilling the cracks, smoothing them over, sanding, and painting the entire shebang.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Rhino coating!! that's sweet, never thought about that. I suppose you'd have to sand the dash with some rough grit first, but then after applying it your dash would outlive the car. I think you can get the stuff and apply it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts