SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recommendations for a good dashboard cover? I just bought a 97 900 SE 5 door, in excellent shape. Having owned Saabs in the past I can only assume the dashboard is going to crack (and the headliner sag!) sooner or later, so I'd like to avoid that for as long as possible.

thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Hi Steve and welcome to Saabcentral.

The problems with sagging headliners and cracked dashboards, that plagued the 'classic' 900, have not been carried across to the NG.

I have yet to see, or hear, of anyone having a problem with this.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Heh. I hated the C900 headliner. When the spray adhesive that I put un in their failed I just went to sticking pins up there to keep it off my head. Those were the good old days. The only dash problems that I've heard about, problem that I include myself as having, it around the passenger side airbag. Small hairline cracks where the indents are for the airbag part of the dash. I may try to get some leather/vinyl repair type stuff (easy enough to color match-black). Though I'm curious if the added material would interfere in the deployment of the bag if that situation were to come up. But yeah, no real cracks in the dash or sagging of the headline in my '97.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yeah, I've got the minor cracks arond the airbag also. Just keep off the armoral (this will promote cracking) and you should be alright.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Small hairline cracks where the indents are for the airbag part of the dash
Mine is split in the same area. Mine looks pretty even, so until now I had always assumed that it was that way on purpose.

I'd hesitate to patch it up. As S4L says, it could mess with the airbag. Also I tried one of these 3M patch kits on my old volvo. It was very hard to get the texture and color right. What I wound up with looked worse. It seems to be a pretty good product, but it takes a lot of skill and practice to use well. You have to mix your own colors etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! That's great news. Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that cracked dashboards and sagging headliners are the Saab engineers blind spot.

I'm getting out of a 1989 MB 300E (tranny problems and other woes) and ran across a 97 900 SE - 105k miles on it, in excellent condition (new clutch, front pads and rotors, and a new engine mount). My last Saab was a 1985 900 Turbo, and years before I'd owned 2 96s - 3 cylinder model - those were a hoot. While I consider the MB to be a great car (lots of trouble free miles on it, great ride, etc), I have to admit I'm very excited to be in a Saab again, and part of the Saab family!

This looks like a great forum too, btw.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that cracked dashboards and sagging headliners are the Saab engineers blind spot.
Don't worry, they still kept the crappy transmissions :cheesy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts