SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been following this thread with interest.

I have a 2003 Vector, so fitting a Pioneer unit is not possible in the smaller dash cut-out. So I was wondering will the dash / fascia trim fit from the 07 models on my 03?? This would allow (sizewise any way) a double din dash slot with many potential stereo upgrade paths - for example Pioneer Navi or carputer.

I know it's a completely different type of stereo in the 07's and realise getting rid of the ICM is technically difficult, but it has been done by others so is possible. I'm just curious about the physical fit, eg do the bolts line up, are the guages the same size and position etc.

I reckon the biggest problems would be at the bottom, where the cupholder sits in my 03, but if that was removed that looks like there would be enough room for the newer dash. I'm not sure if when the dash was changed it was just the fascia or the whole thing (the huge bit of soft plastic that goes right from the ashtray to the windscreen and the full width of the car)

I've never seen the revised dash in the flesh, but would appreciate input from those that have seen both.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No comment?

Any thoughts at all?

If the newer dash would fit with only minor mods would be a very neat upgrade path.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, off the top of my head, this is well beyond the capability of just about every poster here!

This would be a huge job. The dashboards are big units, and I think the entire dashboard would have to go, from driver door to passenger door. You're not just replacing, say, the upper center console stack (which would probably be an easy job).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure, I can see a whole dash swap would be massive, and well beyond me!

I was just wondering how much things were reworked in the 07. I've never seen one in the flesh, but the vents for example look just the same, as well as the general contour of the dash at the cupholder, so I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the upper dash surround trim piece, (the item folks get carbon decorated and swap without much trouble) between models.

I would speculate GM would try to change as little as possible to keep the re-tooling to a minimum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2003 vs. 2007 Dash

looks like the 2007 instrument panel could fit onto the existing dashboard. it just dips where the 03's cupholder is. check out these photos...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dunno... there's something very endearingly SAAB about the 'hundo-buttoned' dash. Also RIP to the SID, the gauge integrated thing just isn't happenin for me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
to someone who has the 07 on te light switch what are all those lines on it to the left??? i dont have that on my 03 SS

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats exactly what I'm talking about JAYMSAAB. It looks like a straight swap for the instrument panel surround, apart from where the 03 cupholder is (which is expendable in my view).

Then it's just a matter of getting hold of a new dash surround, mounting a new aftermarket stereo (or pc and touchscreen), bypassing MOSTnet, making sure TechII is happy and bleeps still get to the centre speaker, re-wiring all the other speakers to new source, integrating steering wheel controls to new stereo and you're done!

As I said at the start, just an idea, folks have done much more to their saabs before in the pursuit of their fancies.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
jochi said:
I dunno... there's something very endearingly SAAB about the 'hundo-buttoned' dash. Also RIP to the SID, the gauge integrated thing just isn't happenin for me.
is the sid in-between the speedo now, booo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The extra positions on the lightswitch are I think to adjust the beam angle, and you won't have them if you have the HID setup.

I have an 03 with plain filament bulbs and I have them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
thats a nice interior for the 03. im thinking of replacing my interior to the metallic. and the steering wheel is niiice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts