SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, those are my symptoms followed by a drop in power, then everything turns back on and I'm good to go before I can even stop the car.
Battery is a year old. Is it time to check grounds? Do I need a whole new instrument cluster? Has anyone gone through this before? So far no CEL.

·
Super Moderator
2,932 Posts
These are on different +15 leads and share no common relays (and some no relays), so yes I'm going to say ground issue. Check the ground junction by the L/F headlight.
Tom

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give that a check. Actually, might as well check as many grounds as I can find.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ignition switch? If I turn mine to OFF while driving (as I occasionally have to when the ESP/ABS Christmas tree lights up) I get that set of symptoms. Switching it back to ON - everything comes back to life (including the ESP ABS has reset).

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Your car is an automatic, right? Does the engine stop running?

I would be thinking about the ignition switch too. WIS should show if there is one contact that feeds the instrument, etc. If the engine keeps running through all this, then the ECU is still running. If it stops, well with an automatic it won't restart will it?

(I say this because I have had a laptop nudge the key in my 2003, turning it off and knocking out power. With a manual in gear and moving, I can just turn it back to ON and everything goes back to normal. Not sure how that would work with an auto.)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's auto. Engine keeps running, radio still plays (Denso Nav unit).

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ignition switch? If I turn mine to OFF while driving (as I occasionally have to when the ESP/ABS Christmas tree lights up) I get that set of symptoms. Switching it back to ON - everything comes back to life (including the ESP ABS has rest).
Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to check wis and see what's fed from the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You say you get a drop in power, and that the engine keeps running. Is it possible that the engine has in fact died but momentum hides this? Thats what I experience if I do it at high speed or downhill.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say you get a drop in power, and that the engine keeps running. Is it possible that the engine has in fact died but momentum hides this? Thats what I experience if I do it at high speed or downhill.
At first I thought that was the case but if I hot the gas, it will accelerate, just not how it should. One time I pulled into a parking lot and stopped, car was still running. Pressed the gas, the engine revved up but the car would only move at a snails pace (maybe 1 meter per minute, seriously). Reverse worked fine though. Turned the car off and back on, everything was back to normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts