SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey-
I'm new at this but have a problem which I hope you can help me fix. I have a '79 900 EMS, and have had a couple of weird electrical problems recently. The car is pretty low mileage for its age (about 100k) and was in a garage for a long time, so its exterior and interior are in near perfect condition..

First..my tachometer sometimes gets about 2000RPM ahead of where the engine is. This has happened twice, and for instance where I would usually be going at 3000RPM, 60MPH the tachometer reads 5000RPM. The engine is not revving higher than it usually does though and there is no sound difference. And I am shifting it at the same speeds an everything, the tachometer is just reading wrong. Is this just simply an electrical gremlin I should try to ignore?

and second, my dash lights have all just recently stopped working. The warning lights still work though, and so does the hazard light and the defroster light. But everything else is off. I know its not the bulbs because I recently had them all changed, and I know its not the fuse because I checked that. I think it might be the rheostat knob, and I have read about how to bypass it with a jumper but am confused about how to do this... So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or could give me some detailed instructions, if possible?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
there's a rheostat that controls the dash lights - it's a little black button to the left of the gauge cluster (at least that's where it was on my '85)- you may have turned it by accident and shut down the dash lights - or it might have conked out -

for the tach - check your electrical connections on the back of the cluster - you should be able to get to them through the speaker grill over the cluster - you can also get to the lights that way (no need to pull the cluster) -

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts