SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys for bothering you again, but I don't have a trustworhy mechanic here. When I mention Saab, they run their *** off (not common car here)... I prefer DIY if it is possible :)

Is there any backlighting for cabin light switch located near the shift lever?
Is there any backlighting for cigarete lighter hole?
Is there any backlighting for front ashtray?
These are not lit, so I was thinking about changing bulbs. Speaking of which, is there any DIY with changing these bulbs (if they exist) and where can I get them?

My glove compartment light also doesn't work, I tried to replace bulb with one from interior dome light, but still no go. I checked the connections and they seem fine. Trunk light has the same problem. Is it a fuse?

My antenna doesn't come out, I have non stock single slot CD player. Is this his fault? Can he control antenna by default (just connecting it normaly to the car audio connector where stock audio was connected), or I have to do some custom connections?

My windscreen washing is a bit low (low pressure). Is it a motor problem, or I have to check hoses?

My sid warns me of low coolant level sometimes, but coolant is full, can I service that easily?

My fuel gauge is erratic when the tank is full (rarely when it is not) it just drops to zero, and reserve light goes on, and it sudden goes back up, etc...

I already plan to service headlight wipers (they barely move, if they move at all, headlight washing doesn't work also), I found great DIYs :)

I plan ordering parts online, is it a good choice? Any recomendations for Europe?

I appreciate any help with these things, I'm a bit a perfectionist about things, and previous owner wasn't, so I'm slowly patching up his mistakes :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I serviced cigarette lighter light but the replacing bulb is too dark. It has the same characteristics though (12V, 1.2W).

I solved antenna problem (antenna mast cable broken).

I have another issue, I would like to replate "fasten seatbelts" light, but I cannot pull out the SID. No matter how hard I pull/push him from behind, it just won't come out. It has 2 holes one the left and right sides, do I have to insert something inside prior to pulling it out?

Could you help me with other question mentioned? You don't need to answer them all :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The SID should pull right out. Sometimes I screw a pair of drywall screws into the holes and pull it out, but mine pulls out easily. There is no locking assembly associated with the holes in the SID... Ron

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
This site; http://www.thesaabsite.com/faqs.htm has a wealth of info and is a good starting point.

As far as lighting goes, and I'm going off my memory and the short amount of time I've had with my 900S, the ashtray has a light that shines into it when it is open and a small hole in the side of the tray lets light shine in. This light also probably illuminates the translucent ring around the cig lighter as well but mine is dim.

For checking light circuits and other electrical connections, I cannot stress enough importance about purchasing a small digital multimeter and then you can at least ascertain if DC current is going to the bulb contacts. I found out my boneheaded PO (previous owner) had attempted to fit an oversize tube bulb into one of the license plate lights and basically tore up the clear plastic housing. The bulb was the wrong spec unbeknownst to me at the time and wouldn't light up until I corrected it and repaired the plastic holding the metal contacts.

Also, ordering online is often the only way to go for obscure Saab parts. I'd recommend eEuroparts.com and I do believe they do international shipping but the cost might be prohibitive for you. Check around via Google, etc.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Sorry guys for bothering you again, but I don't have a trustworthy mechanic here. When I mention Saab, they run their *** off (not common car here)... I prefer DIY if it is possible :)

Is there any backlighting for cabin light switch located near the shift lever? no, one of the very few unlit, why??,unknown.
Is there any backlighting for cigarette lighter hole? I think so
Is there any backlighting for front ashtray? do not know
These are not lit, so I was thinking about changing bulbs. Speaking of which, is there any DIY with changing these bulbs (if they exist) and where can I get them? Radio Shack??

My glove compartment light also doesn't work, I tried to replace bulb with one from interior dome light, but still no go. I checked the connections and they seem fine. Trunk light has the same problem. Is it a fuse?could be, check your Haynes manual or the WIS or your owner's manual.
Use your test light( $1 from HF) ($5 from Walmart International) or you can make one..

My antenna doesn't come out, I have non stock single slot CD player. Is this his fault? Hard to say. Can he control antenna by default (just connecting it normally to the car audio connector where stock audio was connected), or I have to do some custom connections? This is one for Jeremy.

My windscreen washing is a bit low (low pressure). Is it a motor problem, or I have to check hoses? Check the control valves, 3, I think(WIS again.)
My sid warns me of low coolant level sometimes, but coolant is full, can I service that easily?This can be cleaned

My fuel gauge is erratic when the tank is full (rarely when it is not) it just drops to zero, and reserve light goes on, and it sudden goes back up, etc...The data from the fuel gage sender also goes to the SID, see if this is erratic or not. If it is then its the fuel level sender/fuel pump and this is costly.

I already plan to service headlight wipers (they barely move, if they move at all, headlight washing doesn't work also), I found great DIYs :)

I plan ordering parts online, is it a good choice? Any recommendations for Europe?

I appreciate any help with these things, I'm a bit a perfectionist about things, and previous owner wasn't, so I'm slowly patching up his mistakes :)

Thanks in advance!
When you're done, come over to my house....same thing....mistakes....poorworkmanship.....neglect....so much work.:cheesy::cheesy:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for your replies. This will be a rather lengthy post, because I feel the insatiable urge to share my problems and work progress with you ;)

My PO (Previous Owner) didn't care much for detail, but was not so sloppy to try actions that Harquebus mentioned :)

The faults are as follows:
I checked antenna again, my radio blue wire was not connected to the car (antenna pin), and that's why it didn't come out when radio was on. When I connected it I saw that mast cable is broken, but still need to check if there are any cable leftovers in wheel mechanism which levers the antenna, before replacing mast. (I'm thinking of installing electronical windshield antenna over this one, but will see).

I tried pulling SID again but no luck, when I pulled hard it seemed that whole dashboard is separating from car (like it's unsticking) so I stopped. I really don't know what's the problem... I'll try with screws ;)

This weekend I plan to service my headlight wipers (because they have tendency to stop in the middle position :) ), washer valves and hoses, bulbs (with multimeter). I'll try to remove intake tube to see the condition of turbo (but mechanic told me that turbo seems ok), disassembly of antenna motor, and such. I checked vacuum hoses, and they seem fine, so it either DI cassette or APC, at least that's what a local saab mechanic told me (I'll check it in 2 weeks at his place, and let you know the outcome :) ).

I went to the other mechanic and he broke what's left of valve cap breathing nipple, and now there is just screw inside to prevent dirt collecting. I'm ordering new one, when I find corresponding one (and the rubber thing which goes into valve cap).

I've just changed emblems yesterday (hood & trunk one), and was very disappointed when I found out that GM doesnt supply original trunk emblem (saab/scania one) anymore, instead this part is replaced with saab only badge, so I had to put this one. I had much trouble removing adhesive letfover on the trunk, but thanks to the online tips it worked like charm.

Cabin filter change is also scheduled, because blower is very weak, I've cleaned the crap from false bulkhead and old filter, now it's a bit better, but still rather weak.

There is still lot to do with the car, not some major jobs, but I'm slowly making progress. I saw eeuroparts site, but as Harquebus said, the shipping is very costly. I'm using partsforsaabs for now.

@earthworm - thanks a lot! It' fuel sender than, because SID is showing the same state as gauge needle (0km left :D ). The tip about cleaning coolant level sensor is also helpful, I'll try it asap. After all the work I would like to help you, but it's a very long trip :) I barely have the means of servicing my car, because I live in a flat. We should make International second-hand saab owner club or something. :roll:

BTW, what is WIS?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts