SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted a couple of times but has anyone gone ahead and changed the bulb colours throughout the dash and facia?

Anyone found a supplier of say blue bulbs, know how many etc? :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
ohh.. I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I'd love to change the color to either blue or white.. anything is better then the outdated 80's green.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
In the dash would a colored bulb really make a difference? Isn't the transparent part green? Or is it white and I just don't remember? :roll:

·
Registered
199 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
In the dash would a colored bulb really make a difference? Isn't the transparent part green? Or is it white and I just don't remember? :roll:
I thought they were all white with just transparent green plastic over the top....

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think the translucent part are all easy to remove siimilar to the one lets say in the heater switches. All of the bulbs for my rpm and my 0-90 are out....So i am going to try installing a new speedometer cluster it's for an 01 and i have an 00 sorry to go off topic but can i install it myself and then have saab use tech II to marry it to the car?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
I think the translucent part are all easy to remove siimilar to the one lets say in the heater switches. All of the bulbs for my rpm and my 0-90 are out....So i am going to try installing a new speedometer cluster it's for an 01 and i have an 00 sorry to go off topic but can i install it myself and then have saab use tech II to marry it to the car?
I don't understand why you'd do that? They are the same clusters.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
The bulbs in the cluster are white.
Not sure what effect putting a different colour bulb in would have ...

The bulbs in the seat heater switches are green LEDs.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Arnie said:
what are you gonna use to feed the turbu gauge with?

Arnie
It's electronic. When he pairs the dash with the ECU it'll automatically start reading. In fact, I wonder if he even has to pair the dash with the ECU... Doesn't seem like something they would make you pair a cluster... :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
SaabScott said:
The bulbs in the cluster are white.
Not sure what effect putting a different colour bulb in would have ...

The bulbs in the seat heater switches are green LEDs.

Actually, that is not true. I just replaced my heater switch lights, and there was a little green cap over a white LED.

·
Registered
89 Posts
same deal, i just went through and changed out 5 of the lamps for the heated/vented seat switches. i guess on the 'newer style', post face-lift i dunno, it's a small green rubber cap that goes over the replacements.

i dont know much about the difference between the bulbs but i had the same thought when i embarked on this last week so i asked an electrical engr buddy at work. he said he wasn't sure about replacing the lamps with just some LEDs (i was thinking red for the heat blue for the vents, original i know) from a hobby store and that they'd maybe need to have a resistor built in to get the power right, esp for the dimming control with the rheostat (i could be way off on my technical know-how here). the ones i got were 12V 60ma 'micro lamps' @ radioshack, 6 cost me $5. i got that info from SaabBlackMan's (i think) site. just my few cents. if i get ambitious and find out more i'll be sure to share.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why cant we remove the green cap and paint the bulb?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Why cant we remove the green cap and paint the bulb?
Or get a different color cap! :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MIKE AERO HOT said:
Why not remove the cap, this will make it white won't it? Chris, the paint stuff dims the light output I think.....
I was gonna try my special translucent nail varnish on it ;oops:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
MIKE AERO HOT said:
Why not remove the cap, this will make it white won't it? Chris, the paint stuff dims the light output I think.....
So does the cap... :confused:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The heater switch bulbs aren't the problem here; yes they have the little green cap which can be removed and the light will be white(or yellowish off-white; I HATE regular filament bulb colour :(). I doubt there will be a need for a resistor as these are usually just to trick the computer from thinking a light is out since the LED runs at a such a nominal wattage. The problem with this is the radio, ACC stack lights, which have a clear green plastic filter built into the units that cause the light to be green. You can switch it out for a superwhite LED all day, but it will still light up green, albeit a very bright green. I really like the way the new lexus interiors look with all the crisp white lighting on the instrument panel; just looks more updated. Honestly though I don't think it's going to be possible unless we removed those plastic filters everywhere. I'm not sure about the instrument cluster, but I would bet they have the green plastic filters as well. Can anyone confirm or confute this? Cheers.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
It's electronic. When he pairs the dash with the ECU it'll automatically start reading. In fact, I wonder if he even has to pair the dash with the ECU... Doesn't seem like something they would make you pair a cluster... :confused:
What I was hoping to do was just replace it without having to connect anything else..before i do this is there anything I should know?.. regardless i will have to replace the bulbs so i just thought it would be bad to change the whole cluster and replace it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts