SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My beloved NG900 convertible is experiencing some electrical problems, and wiring is not my forte!

A bit of a complicated one, but here we go:

I changed the catalyst the other week, and all was fine for the rest of the day when i done, and then things started to go very wrong.

The brake light failure comes on when i press the brake, but all the lights are working, even changed the bulbs. Each time i push the brake pedal, the rear fog light symbol comes up on the dash. However, when I push the rear fog light button and push the pedal, it stops. The reverse lights have stopped working, no matter what combination of buttons i use. In addition, when i put the car into reverse, the ABS warning light comes on, bit not everytime i reverse.

I am rather confused, and not sure where to start really, check fuses, all good. I saw on another thread that ABS sensors can make the car do strange things, but then why would the reverse lights stop working?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am particularly anal when it comes to my saab, and can't stand it when something goes wrong that i can't fix!:cry:

Oh, and the brake light on the boot lid comes on when i push the fog light button, and then goes out when i push the brake pedal...very odd!

·
Registered
288 Posts
some more info needed i think.... why did you replace the cat? wondering if there's a heatshield still there? that's the only thing you replaced? did you retrace your steps? exactly how soon after the work was done it acted up? have you called a preacher yet?
tyler

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sounds like a case of bad grounds...

I am not familiar enough with these care to tell you were to look, but it does sound like you have some loose or faulty grounds.

A little bit of hunting, some light sandpaper and maybe some dielectric grease, and I would bet that your problems go away for a long time.

Can anyone else chime in with ground locations?

Tom

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am not familiar enough with these care to tell you were to look, but it does sound like you have some loose or faulty grounds.

A little bit of hunting, some light sandpaper and maybe some dielectric grease, and I would bet that your problems go away for a long time.

Can anyone else chime in with ground locations?

Tom
good idea. some by the batt and some in the trunk under the carpet, by the taillights... would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
1995 Saab 900SE 2.0T 3 door hatch
1,146 Posts
Sounds very much like the ground in the trunk is failed

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some more info needed i think.... why did you replace the cat? wondering if there's a heatshield still there? that's the only thing you replaced? did you retrace your steps? exactly how soon after the work was done it acted up? have you called a preacher yet?
tyler
tyler
The cat had completely corroded and the monolith broken up, so hence the change. No heat shield and retraced what I did, didn't find anything.

I checked the grounds, well those in the front, no issues. Can't see the one in boot, anyone know which side it's on?

The issue started the next day after an hours drive, I parked up, left it for an hour, came back and all the warning lights came on.

No preacher yet, but I'm thinking auto electrician if the ground in the boot is ok.

Would the abs sensor cause any of these problems?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts