SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my lunch I didnt eat (which is becoming more and more often) I tried to put my saab clarion radio in. the one that came with my car ate a tape and it had the black amp in the center console. anyway. I took one out of a 900 which doesnt require an amp. I think... so I tried to just plug them in and the plugs wouldnt work. they were switched. meaning the male plug that had some wires in it matched another male plug with the same wires. So???? not sure why. when I took out the aftermarket radio there is another wire harness that they put in. (audio express "your home of the 1 dollar install") so Im thinking I need to just use that harness since its just wires and cut the ends of the radio off and just hard wire it in. I hate waisting my lunches on failed projects but I did get some good ideas. and the facia is now loose!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm going through a very similar situation with my '92 right now. Just sourced a CD player with cage for my car, and the cables are correct but are about 8 inches too short to reach from the HU to the CD in the console. GRR. Those cables will certainly be the only part in this project I need to buy new...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what the audio place did. I used the wires that they put in for the aftermaket radio and I got the saab clarion radio to work. called up saab and they gave me the code. But no sound from the speakers. I could hear a faint hum from the speakers when I listened close. Then tried another clarion one, the one that my car came with. nothing too. Then I tried to hook up the saab amp but its not connected to the radio. and I dont have the round black plug to make it work. So I used an old afternaket radio and it worked perfect. So what do I need to do? can I put an aftermarket amp with the stock clarion deck?

·
Registered
888 Posts
there are four plugs, two male and two female. the aftermarket requires two to be connected to each other and the other two to connect to the aftermarket stereo. Dig arround behind the radio and you will find the other two plugs.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
dasander said:
there are four plugs, two male and two female. the aftermarket requires two to be connected to each other and the other two to connect to the aftermarket stereo. Dig arround behind the radio and you will find the other two plugs.
That's news to me.
The factory wiring in 1987, as I remember it, had a plug with 8 wires for the 4 speakers, and another plug for the radio power, ground, antenna, illumination etc. Some models also had DIN cables for the amp and/or EQ. I don't recall any plugs that needed to be connected together.
I don't claim my memory is infallible.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its weird cause the wires that are there with the plugs are opposite of the radios i have taken out of the junk yards. so lets say that the wires that have the speakers on it are female in the loom. and the radio should be male. well my radio is male and so is the wire in the loom. thats the problem. Mine is a 900s so it came with the black amp no eq. and when I wired it up I cant get any sound to come out. Do I need the DIN cable for sure to me it work?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Going from memory here, and it has been a while. I believe the 87 has two sets of plugs. When the factory system is removed and an aftermarket system is installed the two plugs going to the EQ/AMP assembly get plugged in to each other, and the other two go to the aftermarket stereo.

When removing an aftermarket stereo and installing the factory saab stereo, with an EQ/Amp assembly the two plugs that were plugged together need to be un plugged and plugged in to the wiring for the EQ/Amp assembly. The two that went to the aftermarket stereo go to the factory radio.
I would look arround both behind the radio and in the center console for another set of plugs like the two near the radio. There also was a DIN cable that ran between the tuner/tape assembly in the dash and the EQ/Amp in the console. I would also look to the Bentley Manual for guidance. I can scan the applicable pages and also look through my boxes of saab stereos for further clarification if needed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be wonderful! I have ordered the bentley manual but on back order from borders and bentley publishing. Thanks!:D I really want to put the factory radio back in. You seem to know exactly whats up the the wires. that answered my question as to how they "rewired" my car...when they charged me 80bucks to just cut the ends off and straight wire it directly into my deck. I have the two plugs that are just chillin and the two that I re-wired back to factory so I can use the radio. But I still dont know what to do with the other 2 plugs?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I looked in the bently manual, it does a poor job of laying the harness out in a "realistic" fashion, i.e. the plugs and components are in diagram format and do not realisticly represent the ones in the car. I looked at my many '87 stereos, and equilizers this morning. I believe the four plugs plug into a harness that then plugs in to these components. It looks like on the turbo model the sub harness goes to the equilizer, then the din cables connect to the tuner/deck in the dash. On '91 and up models two of the square plugs plug into the receiver, the other two must be plugged in to each other. Although the wiring on the stereo components changed between the '87-90 modles and the '90 and up, I don't think the wiring on the car changed, but I am not too sure of this. I think if you look in the center console and behind the tuner you will find your factory harness from the car to be un-changed. It looks like from your discripton the audio shop butchered the sub harness that connects the components and interfaces them to the car harness.

I looked at a "Crutchfield" wiring kit to install an anfermarket stereo in an '87 saab. It clearly states that the equilizer cannot be connected to an after market stereo. The instructions clearly state to find the four square plugs, plug two in to each other, and the other two in to the crutchfield harness that then connects to the aftermarket stereo. I think the speaker wires are interupted with a male and female connector to plug into the equilizer, and it is these two plugs that need to be plugged into each other (instead of an equilizer) with an aftermarket stereo. Plugging these in to each other bypasses the equilizer
Again, I believe with some exploring you will find these four square plugs, but it does sound like you need an OEM Saab Clarion stereo sub harness, as it sounds like this was butchered by the stereo shop when they put in the aftermarket stereo.
I looked at an 87 turbo this morning with an aftermarket stereo and in fact there were two square plugs plugged into each other, and two more plugged into a harness that connected to the aftermarkt stereo. The two square plugs that plugged into each other had a broken metal mounting clip and I could tell that they have been handled, there was a lot of extra wire and the harness was loosly slung along behind the stereo. When unplugged, no sound from the speakers. I could also see the factory interface harness had been left there, not hooked up to anything.
I hope this helps. You could probably find the sub harness in a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you very much, very helpful. One question though, what about that DIN plug. Is that necessary to make the amp and radio work? I will go to a junk yard and take the dash off and get to the harness. And when I need to take my dash off again I will plug it in. thanks again

·
Registered
888 Posts
The din plug looks like an audio video S cable. It is round with a round plug with pins inside. You should be able to find these in a wrecking yard. Even if a car has an aftermarket stereo chances are the clarion harness is still in there. I'd jsut grab what you can find. They are not too hard to snake down through the dash and in to the center console (to connect the equilizer/amp to the deck in the dash)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts