SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few hiccups with the 900 but all cars have the hurdles here and there over the course of their life. I wanna keep it on the road. In the back of my mind, though, someday I'd like to purchase a slightly more modern car to get to work (my current daily drive is an '89er).

Now, I've driven my '89 900 Turbo since I started driving. I haven't ever loved another car. Paid $1000 at the time which was a bargain really, despite the TLC that's gone into it over the years. So, my driving skills have been moulded by the SAAB.

I've driven a few other cars, like the Hyundai Tucson, a Suzuki Swift, Toyota Corolla and even a Ford Mustang but they just don't quite cut it. The Mustang would be my pick but it's out of my price range - we're talking a grad teacher in Australia, just starting out in the real world of full time work, so to speak.

Any suggestions for a car that I would still appreciate driving 70kms up and down the highway each day? Secondhand, maybe about 5-6k or so. Yet, economical and reliable at the same? Or must one only have one or the other, not a car with both options, unlike the 900...

·
Registered
179 Posts
As somebody who made the choice to let a classic 900 go after 19 years of ownership, you will not find another car that'll give you the same feeling.
You'll find faster cars, more comfortable cars...heck you'll even find more reliable cars but it won't be as rewarding.
I went from my classic 900 to an NG900 and then to an NG 9-3SE.
That was the only consolation.
That and the fact that both of those following cars were modified versions.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I would think you would have better luck finding 900 parts compared to the 2011 9-5. Over here the prices continue to drop on them. I've seen as low as $5,000 for a 2011 9-5.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A few hiccups with the 900 but all cars have the hurdles here and there over the course of their life. I wanna keep it on the road. In the back of my mind, though, someday I'd like to purchase a slightly more modern car to get to work (my current daily drive is an '89er).

Now, I've driven my '89 900 Turbo since I started driving. I haven't ever loved another car. Paid $1000 at the time which was a bargain really, despite the TLC that's gone into it over the years. So, my driving skills have been moulded by the SAAB.

I've driven a few other cars, like the Hyundai Tucson, a Suzuki Swift, Toyota Corolla and even a Ford Mustang but they just don't quite cut it. The Mustang would be my pick but it's out of my price range - we're talking a grad teacher in Australia, just starting out in the real world of full time work, so to speak.

Any suggestions for a car that I would still appreciate driving 70kms up and down the highway each day? Secondhand, maybe about 5-6k or so. Yet, economical and reliable at the same? Or must one only have one or the other, not a car with both options, unlike the 900...
Get a Mazda 323 or 626.
They are driver's cars focused on enjoyment like Saabs and they are super reliable, had mine over ten years with no major issues.
A loaded 323 would be a nice break from Saab but still provide creature comforts you would want on a long drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts