SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I ordered some new 3D Maxpider Floor liners for my 2008 2.0 from a seller on eBay claiming that they are specifically designed for my car. I don't doubt this, however they're kind of a little dangerous!

when using 80+% throttle they pedal gets stuck beneath the liner. Pretty scary stuff!

check out the photos below:

Not really sure what to do. I have emailed the store I bought them from.

Has anyone else purchased these mats before? I noticed that the holes in the mats also don't "click" into the pegs on the floor. Makes me wonder if they're for a different car and they just happen to mostly fit in the Saabs...

In case you're wondering, I have removed the mat!

·
Premium Member
20,436 Posts
Trim it or remove it and send it back. Right idea not to drive on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trim it or remove it and send it back. Right idea not to drive on it.
I will ship it back if they eat the shipping costs of course. But that involves going across the border. I'm afraid that if I trim it that the different layers (apparently it has 3) will separate.

Anyone have any photos of a wrecked laser red 2008? I'll send them that and see it they'll buy me a new car ;)! Kidding of course!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Personally, I'd send a note to the seller to inform them of the design flaw associated with the product, but would then trim that section and keep the mats. It looks like the "indent" there is just a bit "off", so it should only take a small amount of cutting/trimming to that corner where the bottom of the pedal is catching it.

I doubt the rest of the mat will begin to separate due to that small corner getting trimmed, but if you want to ensure it doesn't, then you can put a bit of adhesive along the edge of it after you've trimmed it. Depending on the materials it uses, you might even be able to use some heat and melt the edges together (but be careful not to burn things up ;) ).

Another DIY fix for keeping the layers together where you trim it might be to use a small amount of black plastic edging that has adhesive inside of it similar to something used for weather stripping doors, or what many here use to line the exhaust cutouts. You could even line the entire outer edge of the mat to make it look more consistent and "original" so that nobody can tell that you've altered the portion around the gas pedal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same mats. I pushed them it the rear of the car as far as I could, it's wedged under the seat rails about an inch. I found that they CAN fit all over the place but it took some care to get them to fit correctly.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
The mounting holes that attach to the main carpet locating pins, are also too big. The original factory mats on my vert had smaller plastic holes, not the metal grommet type. These snapped over the floor pins, almost like a clothing snap. My new mats that are also OEM carpet mats, came with the large metal grommets that allows the mats to move around too much. My WeatherTech mats have plastic snap tabs on the back, these snap securely over the floor posts. There are also OEM carpet mats that have the small plastic holes. I think the mats changed in the facelift years, and they sent me the older mats with the large metal grommets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I personally have these as well and ran across this same issue really not that big of a deal thats why you need to test fit before going anywhere.
I simply trimmed a portion and have not had a problem since. It's been like 6+ months easily if not more since they've been in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally have these as well and ran across this same issue really not that big of a deal thats why you need to test fit before going anywhere.
I simply trimmed a portion and have not had a problem since. It's been like 6+ months easily if not more since they've been in.
The issue I have with them is I paid a decent amount of money so I would have a direct fit mat so I would not have to cut anything! haha, If I knew I was going to have to cut them, I would have saved my ~$100 and just bought cheap Costco mats.

I also am not too interested in cutting a 3 layer mat, I'm kinda expecting that over time they'll start to split. Especially during a winter.

In my opinion, if something is designed to work for a certain application, it should do exactly that. It's like buying a pair of gloves for 5-fingered people and noticing once you get them that they have 6 fingers. "I guess I'll just cut one finger off". That's my thought.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same mats. I pushed them it the rear of the car as far as I could, it's wedged under the seat rails about an inch. I found that they CAN fit all over the place but it took some care to get them to fit correctly.
I did that too, now the mat is about half an inch off the ground up at the very front and the holes aren't lined up with the floor pegs. I bet these things are not even made for Saabs, instead for Buicks that are just "close enough" haha

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW WeatherTech has been great on other cars for fitment of bad weather matts.

And of course Lloyds is the best for replacement carpet matts. (correct Saab logos and all)

YMMV but I don't even look at the cheaper options anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.