SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on upgrading the springs & dampers on my '01 Aero Wagon after 145K miles (long needed!).
Based on the various comments in this forum and elsewhere, I have focused on Eibach Pro Kit springs, but I am trying to decide between Bilstein Sports/Sprints and the Eibach Pro Kit dampers (as part of the Pro System kit).
My sense is that Bilstein dampers have very high build quality (Koni less so), but I don't have a sense of the build quality or longevity of the Eibach dampers.
I would appreciate input from the forum.
Thanks,
KeithCT
SaabCentral newbie.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I have Bilstein B8's with Eibach springs. I had B6's, but wanted something stiffer. The build quality kept me with Bilsteins, they're amazingly well built. A lot of shocks need to be pumped before their initial use and then soften a bit over the first week. Not bilsteins, they're ready before they're ever compressed and they don't "break in." I had the B6's on my car for a year, and they were just as firm when they came off as when I put them on. And the B8's were so hard, that I with my 170lbs of weight couldn't compress the shocks, some one else had to do it.

Also good choice on the Eibach Springs, they suit the car nicely. They have a really good spring balance, and make the chassis a lot more neutral, but there's still enough understeer that you don't get into trouble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eibach Springs & Dampers seem no longer available

I have been checking with Eibach distributors in U.S. and they are being told by Eibach that the Saab Springs & Dampers are no longer available. :cry:

That leaves me with Bilstein dampers.

Are there any quick suggestions for springs, or should I just stay with my tiered Aero Springs and use Bilstein HD/Sports?

Thanks,
KeithCT

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
stipud said:
Bilstein HD's on Aero Springs is an amazing combination. Very comfortable but much MUCH better performance than stock.
Agreed, Stipud got me into the HD's, and ever since I've been praising them all over the forum. Love the combination! Amazing how much the body roll is minimized! :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stipud & SectorNine50,

Would you please measure the height of the apex of your wheel wells?
I am concerned that after 145K miles, my original Aero springs have lost their ooomf (a technical term).
If I am drooping, I think I'll go with Eibach Pro Kit Springs & Bilstein Sports. in not, I keep my Aero springs & go with HDs.

My wheel well heights are:
Left Right
Front: 25 7/8" 26 1/8"
Rear: 25" 24 7/8"

17x45x225 tiers @ 38 PSI.
Full tank of gas.

Thanks,
KeithCT

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
KeithCT said:
Stipud & SectorNine50,

Would you please measure the height of the apex of your wheel wells?
The proper way to measure ride height is from the apex of the wheel well to the lower edge of the wheel rim (closest to the ground). That way tire size doesn't come into play, just rim size (16/17/18"). If you measure to the ground then you need to take size & pressure into account so you will be unable to compare between cars.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
MacNoob said:
The proper way to measure ride height is from the apex of the wheel well to the lower edge of the wheel rim (closest to the ground). That way tire size doesn't come into play, just rim size (16/17/18"). If you measure to the ground then you need to take size & pressure into account so you will be unable to compare between cars.
You mean to the center of the rim? ;) If you measure to the bottom, the wheel size will come into play!

I'll get on it when I get the chance, Keith.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
WIS does specify to the bottom of the rim closest to the ground from the wheel arch, but they have different factory specs depending on wheel size. It's listed in the wheel alignment section.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated Measurements from my 2001 Aero Wagon,
Apex of wheel well (sheet metal, not plastic lip) to lower lip of 17" wheels.
~ 14 gallons of gas in tank. Earlier mesure was with 18 gallons.
Left Right
Front 23 1/8" 23 2/8"
Rear 22 4/8" 22 4/8"

I am thinking I have sagged all around.
Gravity, its not just a good idea, its the law! :roll:

KeithCT

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
KeithCT said:
Updated Measurements from my 2001 Aero Wagon,
Apex of wheel well (sheet metal, not plastic lip) to lower lip of 17" wheels.
~ 14 gallons of gas in tank. Earlier mesure was with 18 gallons.
Left Right
Front 23 1/8" 23 2/8"
Rear 22 4/8" 22 4/8"

I am thinking I have sagged all around.
Gravity, its not just a good idea, its the law! :roll:

KeithCT
Spec from WIS for 2001 Aero with 17" wheels is 24.4" front, 24.0" rear, unloaded with full tank of gas. So you are definitely lower than WIS says.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses. :D
You helped me clarify my thinking.

I was concerned that the Eibach springs might lower my Aero too much, but gravity, time and 145K miles have already done that.

I have ordered a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs. The only place that I was able to find them on this side of the pond was at an EBAY vendor, Moror Sports Direct. I have also ordered a full set of Bilstein Sport dampers.
I expect to install the springs & damper myself in mid-November, then take the car in for an allignment.

Cheers!
KeithCT

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
KeithCT said:
Thanks for the responses. :D
You helped me clarify my thinking.

I was concerned that the Eibach springs might lower my Aero too much, but gravity, time and 145K miles have already done that.

I have ordered a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs. The only place that I was able to find them on this side of the pond was at an EBAY vendor, Moror Sports Direct. I have also ordered a full set of Bilstein Sport dampers.
I expect to install the springs & damper myself in mid-November, then take the car in for an allignment.

Cheers!
KeithCT
Good choice! Don't forget to post a report on them! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, that's what I get for believing an Ebay vendor's inventory. ;oops:

They finally admitted that they don't have my Eibach Pro-Kit & that Eibach has discontinued manufacturing the model.

Unless someone knows of a source for Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, 7808.140, I now need an alternative.

Suggestions?
H&R
B&G
others...

As ever, thanks for the support!

KeithCT
2001 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-spd (w/ Bilstein Sports waiting for springs)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I did some checking today and found you can raise the rear of a 9-5 with the konis by 20mm by using the upper snap ring groove.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
NickTaliaferro said:
I did some checking today and found you can raise the rear of a 9-5 with the konis by 20mm by using the upper snap ring groove.
Nick can you find me a way to lower the front more? How about if I reduce the thickness of that spring pad up front? :D What about that getting those GE Motorsport springs I emailed you about a while back? They sit lower in the front than the H&R's...

·
Registered
100 Posts
j006 said:
Nick can you find me a way to lower the front more? How about if I reduce the thickness of that spring pad up front? :D What about that getting those GE Motorsport springs I emailed you about a while back? They sit lower in the front than the H&R's...
Why don't you just order them directly from GE Motorsport?

·
Registered
469 Posts
NickTaliaferro said:
- Can someone show on a photo what a snap ring groove is?
- Is this upwards height adjustment only possible for rears? So does this mean the rear Koni becomes the same height as Aero/non Aero wagon/sedan?
- If both front & rear height can be adjusted, would this mean it can be safe then for offset wheels like 19" to use Eibach/Abbott lower springs which should lower the car 30mm (so with the 20mm up, same Aero height but stiffer suspension system)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts