SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

2008 93 Sports wagon 1.9tdi ( Estate )

Just arrived back in the UK after a 6 week tour of France & Spain (5000 miles) We used self adhesive beam deflectors. i have now removed them to find the adhesive has damaged the plastic headlight lenses they are cracked and crazed. Can i buy replacement lenses or do i need to replace complete headlight units?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Considering the high price, if the cracks are just superficial, I would first hit them with a "goo-gone" (a brand here in the colonies), and then with one of those sand and polish restoration kits. I was a real Doubting Thomas but after seeing the results they cut through the oxidation and yellowing haze.

If you feel the cracks go through to the inner surface, bite the bullet and get some from a scrapper though a friend who is a good mech and had a lot of dexterity said getting one out (battery side), was a real pain. If there is any water seepage it might corrode the inner contacts. That would be like summoning "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" from his slumber. :eek:

If the units are HID's or self leveling they may be costly and a real handfull to install and get proper aim.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
If you could post a decent closeup photo I think the collective could give you a real idea of what your options are. As TunnanXWD has already said replacing the headlight assemblies can get very expensive, so trying a restoration kit is probably worth a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Considering the high price, if the cracks are just superficial, I would first hit them with a "goo-gone" (a brand here in the colonies), and then with one of those sand and polish restoration kits. I was a real Doubting Thomas but after seeing the results they cut through the oxidation and yellowing haze.

I had craze-cracked headlights when I purchased my old car - I tried the headlight restoration packages you buy from auto stores - but I found that I got a much better result from just buying regular wet/dry sandpaper of different grits from the hardware store and sanding really lightly and continue increasing the grits. I wished I had saved the money on those headlight kits - the harware option cost me about $5.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I thought that the last step, because the kit my buddy bought was incremental sand paper grades was a final polishing rouge. It's basically how we used to buff out lacquer on MG's and such.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have not tried myself, but believe the white works better than clear "SpongeBob" as it is likely to contain more abrasive "polish"...
The flavor is probably less important, for the headlights... ;-/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

2008 93 Sports wagon 1.9tdi ( Estate )

Just arrived back in the UK after a 6 week tour of France & Spain (5000 miles) We used self adhesive beam deflectors. i have now removed them to find the adhesive has damaged the plastic headlight lenses they are cracked and crazed. Can i buy replacement lenses or do i need to replace complete headlight units?

I used the 3M headlight restore kit. Only $20. Mine were really damaged and with only about 3 hours of work mine got totally restored.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
This is the before and after of my 3M.

I'm new to forums so I apologize for the link above.
Welcome to SC and the lenses look great. I have found that the 3M kits to work very well too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts