SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I damaged the 1/2'' drive part of the belt tensioner (on the top where you'd put an extension to leverage with to loosen the belt); it broke off a little chunk of aluminum unfortunately...

So I can no longer put an extension in there.

Do you guys think it would still be ok to re-use? (That is if I manage to man-handle the belt back on.) It doesn't look like a structural part of the tensioner.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Happened to me once, just wound up pulling a replacement from the junkyard.

Was easier than trying to deal with it in the long run with future belt replacements. But shouldn't be an issue structure wise to continue using it, just a pain in the ****.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use to live somewhat close to a u-pull-it, man that place was great. I don't think there are any around where I am now though.

If it'll save me 70 bucks for now, I don't mind the belt changes taking a bit longer.

I'll re-use it for now. Thanks.

You night try using a small hose clamp around the good and broken piece. If it can be tightened enough, it might work... Ron
Hmm, I think I have a couple small clamps in my toolbox somewhere... It's worth a shot, thanks.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I damaged the 1/2'' drive part of the belt tensioner (on the top where you'd put an extension to leverage with to loosen the belt); it broke off a little chunk of aluminum unfortunately...

So I can no longer put an extension in there.

Do you guys think it would still be ok to re-use? (That is if I manage to man-handle the belt back on.) It doesn't look like a structural part of the tensioner.
I broke mine by levering outwards instead of inwards.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but if there's a bit of a lip left, you should still be able to apply enough downward pressure to keep an extension or a prybar in there.

For some reason, my 1/2" breaker bar slips out, but a 1/2" extension on the breaker bar holds.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Drill the base of the hole further and use a round metal rod that is the same diameter as the new drilled hole to release the tension until the belt is back on :cheesy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up bolting it back on as-is, and convincing the belt to get back on with some good old brute force :cheesy: And ofcourse I was very careful not to damage the belt or pulleys.

I turned the motor a few times to make sure the belt was seated on all the pulleys properly, started it, ran fine.

I broke mine by levering outwards instead of inwards.

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but if there's a bit of a lip left, you should still be able to apply enough downward pressure to keep an extension or a prybar in there.

For some reason, my 1/2" breaker bar slips out, but a 1/2" extension on the breaker bar holds.
Yeah that's how I broke it actually, it was just different from others that I've worked with. There was still a little lip left but not enough to apply force against, I tried.

You could also try an allen wrench and extension in the idler pulley bolt. That's the way it works in my Sierra... Ron
Yeah, that's how I was originally going to loosen it in the car since that's how I've done it with other tensioners, but there was no way my allen wrench was going to fit between the bolt and the side of the engine bay.

But now that I think about it, maybe if I get a cheap allen and cut the length down, it could work... hmm...

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Cutting an allen wrench was what I had to do with my die grinder to get to the tensioner, alternator and drain plug. Thirty seconds latter it fit... Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts