SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have an issue with a 16 valve 900. I have had a go at rolling on a new timing chain and it's not gone well.

Basically I think the wire I used to connect the new chain to the old was too bulky / incorrectly installed and it's bent the guide under the crank sprocket. It did get stuck on the way through but I didn't think I was that rough with it. Now the chain can slip off the crank sprocket altogether (although I can maneuver it back on). It didn't occur to me at the time that with the bottom guide in place, it shouldn't be possible for the chain to come off the crank sprocket.

I first became aware there was a problem when there wasn't enough slack in the chain to get the second cam sprocket back on. I'm assuming there is few links worth of slack chain on the exhaust side that I can't pull past the crank sprocket. To give an idea of how much loose chain there is, if I had one more link to play with, I could get both cam sprockets back on with the chain in place.

I've tried to free up the chain around the crank sprocket using wire and magnets etc but there's not much space between the guides I am not sure if this is possible. I have struggled to find decent photos of the area around the crank sprocket, so I have not been able to piece together exactly where the slack chain would be and how things would look. I've also considered that it may be that the chain is not properly aligned somehow. I'd appreciate any ideas about what has happened.

I think it's looking like the timing cover will probably have to come off now but I thought I would post here in case anyone has ideas for avoiding this. If not at least someone considering doing the job may see this post.

Josh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment, however, I should clarify that I can rotate the chain all the way around (either by turning the engine over or just letting the chain slip over the crank sprocket).

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Thanks for the comment, however, I should clarify that I can rotate the chain all the way around (either by turning the engine over or just letting the chain slip over the crank sprocket).
That doesn't sound right. Didn't think it was possible to slide chain over crank sprocket. Are you sure you're not missing a key in the sprocket?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I'm confused about what the actual issue is right now... are you just worried about a bent lower guide, or is something bound up somewhere and you don't have enough chain to link back together?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to follow up on this for anyone reading, I did manage to get it back together without removing the timing cover and it's running well. As I suspected and noted above, there was some slack chain at the bottom under the crank sprocket on the exhaust side (I suspect the timing guide is too close to the crank sprocket for it to be pulled through).

I bought a motorcycle chain tool and broke the chain, connected some strong cable and rotated the engine until that end of the chain was under the sprocket. Then I rotated it the other way and rolled the end of the chain back to the top and the rest went smoothly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts