SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 95 ARC, front wheel hub replacement...I usually sing praises of EEuro's helpful video's...but the 6:47 minute one they did for this job had to have cut out out 3 hours and 3 coworkers hands! Anyway, after a half day's failure using E-E's steps of removing the ball joint from the control arm I went back to WIS' procedure of leaving it attached to the control arm and dropping from the knuckle. I got the one side in with a few choice words, but I'm having a devil of a time getting the other one to move close enuf to align it enuf to jack up the struck to seat it. I can't seem to swing in the knuckle enuf to align insertion start!?!? The axles are well inserted but I can't seem to get add'l play enuf to get the stud started..see pic.. any tips from this August group of SAABonauts would be GRATEFULLY accepted! ps I used the caliper bolt hole to attach that bar to try and give me leverage to pull in the assembly but so far no luck .. I used SAAB Speacal Tool BC45897 to lessen the upward tension on the control arm, the weights helped the digging bar I used....
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Nut Machine
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Nut Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Make sure you haven’t dislodged the axle - which is easy to do. If the inner CV joint has been separated from the cup the hub is too far out and you’ll never get it to align.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Steve, I don't think so. The boots and cups look ok. The cups stop short of the trans housing by about 2-3 cm equally on both sides.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Feel the inner boot: you can tell if the joint is fully seated. Snap a pic of the axle and inner joint.

Looking at your first photo, if the hub/disk is truly vertical then the ball joint looks to be 3/4” too far inward. There’s no way that it can meet the spindle.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Remove the upper knuckle to strut bolt, and loosen the bottom one. That will let you tilt the entire knuckle, and you shouldn't have any issues getting the ball joint stud to go into the knuckle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeremy I'll see about that. this is a pic of the 'can' on the inboard side of the cv axle. Like I noted to Steve, BOTH sides sit off the trans case by about 2cm which looks like a normal position, no shiny metal. I haven't pulled them before so don't know if that's correct. I'll report back.
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Rick - maybe I wasn’t clear. The axle assembly looks like it’s too far out so the knuckle is not aligned with the ball joint.

Feel / squeeze the inner rubber boot: you’ll probably feel the tripod bearings outside the drive cup - the inner cv joint can separate or pull away from the cup. Also, take another pic further out - it may show that the inner cv joint is hanging lower which would indicate that it’s separated. If it is, you’ll need to lift the cv joint and axle, grabbing it from around the boot, and wiggle and maybe turn it slightly to get it to slide back into the drive cup.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Rick, what I think has happened is #16 (tripod bearing) and everything to the right in the diagram has pulled away from #14 (drive cup). It has to be reinserted into the cup.

White Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel
White Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think on 2002 model there are metal rings on the drive cups which prevent the tripods being pulled out.
I would still recommend to install it by removing it from the control arm. Especially as might have to twist or move it a little bit up and down to align it to fit the screw.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RESOLVED! You were right on Steve. I missed the fine print warning in the WIS. the U joint was out of the tripod. I was doing some hand wringing as I've never done a CV jnt or axle job before but got the nerve and pulled it, popped the jnt back in and put it back together agin...and the ball joint. Thanks a lot!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts