SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I own a 1999 Saab 9-3 2 door. About 2 years ago I put new spark plugs in the engine only to find out about 3 months ago that they werent resistor type. I had a cylinder misfire and was told just to replace the plugs with the correct type. I did this and everything worked fine for the 3 months. Now I am having the same issue. Cylinder 1 misfire. I opened up the engine cover and noticed brown discoloration on the coil pack boot for cylinder 1. I dont have a lot of money to fix it right now but several people are recommending replacing the whole coil pack ($355). Anyone have any ideas or any similar problems?

Thanks
Brody

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I would address the coil pack. Do you have any junkyards or want to give car-part.com a shot?

Always always always make sure the plugs in the car is the correct plug. Also always check to see the guy behind the counter gives you the ones you ask for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was thinking about checking junkyards for parts. Upon further research I found that the part is more commonly called a DIC (direct ignition cassette) i googled the problem and it seems the DIC failure is pretty common among saabs. Is there any way to test the DIC to see if it is bad or not? I dont want to replace it if it is not causing the problem.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Yea I was thinking about checking junkyards for parts. Upon further research I found that the part is more commonly called a DIC (direct ignition cassette) i googled the problem and it seems the DIC failure is pretty common among saabs. Is there any way to test the DIC to see if it is bad or not? I dont want to replace it if it is not causing the problem.
The WIS tells the tech to swap a suspected bad DIC with a known good one. There are no replaceable parts, unless you have a spare one... Ron

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
At 100-150K miles I'd replace the CPS, the DIC, and the FP. This mileage spread is roughly the service lives of the crank position sensor, the "coil pack", and the fuel pump, respectively.
Realize that the "man behind the counter" probably knows less about a Saab than a one day newbie.
Consult you manual for the necessary, and exact info..And have no fear in updating it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I checked a few junkyards and called around...seems the DIC is about the most common saab part that gets sold quickly...so basically no one has it. I can order it off of ebay for around $150 but then I will need to wait for it. If I order it I need to be sure that this is what is causing my cylinder misfire. Does anyone have any other ideas about what could be causing the problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts