SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the saga of my refurbished (read destroyed) cylinder head, I'm now looking for a replacement.

Can I swap a later style head (without the oil bars) for the one that I had on my 1984 T16S? I think it should be fine - so long as I get the newer cam caps to match! And is the NA head the same as the turbo, but with different valves in the turbo?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, so any 16 valve head will do for me then? I thought they were different, but that will make sourcing one a bit easier.

Thanks for that!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The inlet cams are only slightly different and will run on either car. IIRC the turbo inlet closes slightly later (a few degrees) to develop a little more power.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Just asking Paul, as never needed to look into how/where, but where is the different compression ratio of N/A gained over the turbo as older cars used to have domed pistons compared to flat, or head was slightly thinner(total thickness)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The CR difference is in the pistons. The cylinder head is the same including the combustion chamber volume. The only difference is the inlet camshaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts