SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was at a shift from second to third at about 5500 and I somehow managed to get it into first and when i dumped the clutch the tach went all the way to the end. after I continued to drive home it started running really rough and sounded like it was misfiring. i took it to my mechanic who determined that it was misfiring in cylinders 2 and 4 and I need to replace some valves and springs in my head. my question is any suggestions for the cheapest way to remedy this problem? and is it possible to buy a used cylinder head and just swap it in? i am not opposed to doing work myself either so maybe if i should just take the head off myself and get it rebuilt with some better components. please any information on this matter would help.

I love my Saabs and I want to get it back up and running soon especially since ski season has already started.

thank you

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Yes, go on car-part.com and see what is close to you. Found 2 in CO for mid $200s. Get one with a 30 day or better warranty, then take it to a machine shop to be checked for cracks and straightness. If the head is bad, return it. If it is decent have it plained and slap in some new valve seals. I paid $167 to have a head plained or decked as I say, and valve seals I provided put in.

Then take known good head and place on engine.

If you really wanna have some fun.

http://www.saablink.net/forum/items-sale/58523.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts