SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Saab 900s Turbo and am currently in the process of removing the cylinder head as it's head gasket has gone and it needs new valve stem seals I think, The was no compression in the 3rd cylinder and the 3rd spark plug has oil on.

Do I have to take the engine out to get at the timing chain tensioner to remove the chain before removing the camshafts, or is it possible to remove the sprockets while leaving the chain where it is? Also will it be possible to leave the exhaust manifold in place and lift the head straight off once it is all unbolted?

·
Registered
268 Posts
'Alo,

The timing chain tensioner can be seen just under the air conditioning compressor bracket. It's fitted into the cylinder head, and looks like either a large bolt, or a large bolt with a smaller bolt on top of it.

This might be helpful to you. http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/timing_chain.php

Once the chain is loose, you should be able to get the sprockets off, though it may require a bit of working. When I did my head gasket, I replaced the timing chain and tensioner as well, but if it's not worn then I don't supposed you'd wanna replace it.

The exhaust manifold can stay on, in my experience. It just adds a hint of extra weight. :p

~Josh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx man, appreciate it. I got it all off ok, head is in brilliant condition, head gasket's fine and so are all the piston rings :cheesy: However, one of the 3rd cylinder exhaust valve's has a big piece missing!!! :eek: On the plus side that is much easier to fix than piston rings... Im going to take the head into work tommorow to get it all sorted out.

Is it best to buy a new timing chain with a split link (more money than without!) or would i still have to take the tensioner, guide etc. off anyway?

Thanks again :cool:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Don't replace the chain unless you have reason to--it's not a consumable.

When you get the head back on, reinstall the tensioner, turn the engine over a few times, then remove the tensioner and measure the extension of its plunger. This will tell you if the chain is stretched beyond limits. Bentley manual has details.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the tensioner before I remove the head and it was very close to the 11m too worn mark! :eek: If I am going to to change the chain is it worth getting one with a split link in so as i can wind it on? (how do I go about doing this if I get one?) Also how do I go about removing the old chain without taking the engine out? (bearing in mind the head is already off)

Thanks

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
If your chain is that worn, most certainly the guides are worn as well. Its not recommended to use a split link chain on worn guides. It sounds like you're going to need to pull the engine and do the job properly. Also its a good idea to assess many of the other things that are difficult to access with the engine in at this time. Might as well do it right now and save yourself hassles and money down the road.

If you do use a split link you simply secure it and cut it (angle grinder, hacksaw, bolt cutters) making sure not to get filings and bits down in side the engine. THen attatch one end of the new to the old and pull it through. But please put a lot of consideration into doing a full timing chain job. There are some things you can do quick and dirty and there are some things you shouldn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts