SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this earlier on the "SS" forum in error....trying again here....any help is appreciated...

Over the past several months the operation of my CV top has deteriorated. At first, the top would go up partially then stop with a "Soft Top Failure" code. I could then re-start the motion to completion. Now the top will not go down at all. I can hear the pump start and run for a second and then stop with a "Soft Top Failure" code. My local shop claims that the pump impeller has failed. They have offered to rebuild it with a SAAB rebuild kit (with a metal impeller versus the original plastic one) for a total bill of about $600. Does this sound kosher?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That quote is Waaay too high unless a cylinder is failed. The pump parts are not too expensive plus the oil is not so cheap. It might just be low on fluid. Would guess 100 for parts and maybe worst case an hour of labor. I can dig it al up if really needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you think I am being taken for a ride here? You think that the problem could just be low fluid? How do I even check that? How do I counter what they have told me?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The "clutch kit" 5361001 $72.00 list. ;) and Saab book time is 1 Hour to change it. The special fluid pn 3032356/93165227 is $35 for a bottle that will top up more than one car. So this is quite a bit cheaper than $600

The part is actually a coupler between the motor shaft and pump. Comes with o-ring, coupler and two screws. It is basically the same just with a little metal strip across the flat part of the "D" section of the shafts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate to be "anal" about this, but....there is no "impeller" repair? you think it could be a coupler? but it could just be low fluid, right? Thanks again in advance...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No impeller (Well there is one in the pump but never heard of a failed one)... only the coupler is available as a kit from saab. ;) I am guessing they are confused and overcharging on the same item. We have done many of these in the workshop. We also have many cars that come in and get topped off yearly with slightly leaky cyliners. Call me if you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just confirmed that the part they are replacing is indeed the one that you specified (5361001)! They are going to charge me $75.60 for it which I won't quible about but the difference in labor is unexplainable.

Is there any way that you can provide me with evidence of the Saab book time and lvia fax or email?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts