SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm trying to remove the outter CV Joint driver side. But i can't seem to get the joint off. From what i read it's a little ring call snap ring, but i can't see it nor can i take the joint off. I'm using this DIY to remove it, but i drive an 01 9-5 V6.

Here are some pictures on where i am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've been stuck on this all day.
I've been using this. http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050717.Saab_NG900_Outer_CV_Boot/?all

·
Registered
107 Posts
Snap-ring

The snap-ring should be on the outside I would think?

Get all that greese out of there and you'll see much better.

I've never done a SAAB but many other manufacturer brands I've rebuilt.

My quad shaft was probably the biggest pain in the butt to replace believe that one or not.

·
Registered
242 Posts
hi , looks like you got the cv shaft still in the trans ?? if so take it out .easier to work on...

going by the sounds of it , the clip you want to get to , seems to be like the clip that goes into the transmission side as well.its not a tight fit clip , more like a loose fitting circlip.
to get the WHOLE cv joint out , push it back in as far AS IT WILL GO , then give it a sharp quick pull and it should come out . you might have to use a decent hammer and gently tap the shaft out .
to get the end you want to replace off , do the same , sharp quick taps from behind the cv joint should make it come of , might have to hold it in a vice....

i had to do the INNER on a 900 ??saab ( i think) and to get the cv joint off , i had to bend the alluminium/alloy tabs that sorta held the actual joint in, then i could slide the joint off , but this had a proper , normal circlip which i had to remove with pliers , pull the bearing setup off ,then put new one on then circlip, put it back in the joint then bend the tabs back over. those tabs dont actually do much EXCEPT stopping it coming apart when u take the whole shaft OUT..

mark

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
hi , looks like you got the cv shaft still in the trans ?? if so take it out .easier to work on...

going by the sounds of it , the clip you want to get to , seems to be like the clip that goes into the transmission side as well.its not a tight fit clip , more like a loose fitting circlip.
to get the WHOLE cv joint out , push it back in as far AS IT WILL GO , then give it a sharp quick pull and it should come out . you might have to use a decent hammer and gently tap the shaft out .
to get the end you want to replace off , do the same , sharp quick taps from behind the cv joint should make it come of , might have to hold it in a vice....

i had to do the INNER on a 900 ??saab ( i think) and to get the cv joint off , i had to bend the alluminium/alloy tabs that sorta held the actual joint in, then i could slide the joint off , but this had a proper , normal circlip which i had to remove with pliers , pull the bearing setup off ,then put new one on then circlip, put it back in the joint then bend the tabs back over. those tabs dont actually do much EXCEPT stopping it coming apart when u take the whole shaft OUT..

mark
+1 you have to take the whole half shaft out first.

·
Registered
107 Posts
New seal required

If its not to late, order new seals for the transmission where the shaft plugs back into the tranny. One for each side if your doing both.

I believe I read once where they like to leak at the seal as their a ONE shot type of seal.

Better safe than have to visit that project again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there another way of removing the CV Joint without having to take the entire axle out? I'm really stuck with the cv joint, my 9-5 doesn't have an opening to remove the snap ring. And i really dont want to remove the axle, which seems like a whole new project.

I also can't find any videos or posts on 9-5 cv joints. If anyone sees any, could you please PM me them or post here. thank you.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Why it looks in the diagram on eeuroparts is that there is a inner clip on the inside of the cv joint. So what I would do is get a rubber hammer and hit the back of the joint off towards the direction of the tire. You might also be able to use a block of wood and a regular hammer. The easiest thing to do is just pull the whole halfshaft out of the car which should only take a few minutes to do. Then you can put it in vise and knock the joint off. So if you do try to take it out which should come out if you tug on it away from the transmission. Good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Remove shaft

Never heard anyone ever replace the CV without taking it out of the car.

1. Remove A-frame material out of the way
2. Grab shaft and PULL hard, there is a inner clip ring wihich you have to overcome.
3. I suppose you could use a pry bar and attempt to pry the unit out.
4. Clean out all grease and replace faulty joint.

E-bay has the boot kit here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab...temQQimsxZ20100310?IMSfp=TL100310145009r17031

Don't forget the new tranny seal. Look to rockauto for parts or where ever you prefer.

Diagram

http://www.autopartslib.com/wp-cont...-Axle-Shaft-Joint-Components-Part-Diagram.png

http://www.autopartslib.com/wp-cont...cours-Drive-Axles-CV-Joints-Parts-Diagram.png

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is there another way of removing the CV Joint without having to take the entire axle out? I'm really stuck with the cv joint, my 9-5 doesn't have an opening to remove the snap ring. And i really dont want to remove the axle, which seems like a whole new project.

I also can't find any videos or posts on 9-5 cv joints. If anyone sees any, could you please PM me them or post here. thank you.

hi, its not another project to take it out , you already got the hard part done , as was said before , push in , then pull out sharply , or use a hammer...
mark k

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both Inner and Outter CV Boot replacement

Hey guys, so I'm finally back from vacation and work, and I'm right back at the Saab. So I got to pull the drive shaft out by pulling hard, but it tore my Inner CV boot. So I decided to leave whatever was left in the transmission and just work on the actual drive shaft.

After taking off all the boots, and cleaning. I managed to put it all back together fairly easily.

The problem to all this was a broken ball joint, which sent me into a curb and ripped the boot. And I've just been dealing with that for about 7 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts