SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long would the average mechanic need to do this provided with the Bentley Manual?

How about the Avg. Joe here who has a little shop knowledge?

Thanks guys!

Jon

FYI-1990 900S :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I only know the CV joint answer for the "Average Joe." 2 hours Minimum.

Involves taking off . . .

Axle nut, Wheel, brake caliper, brake disc, ball joints, unclip CV joint, packing with grease, new boot, reinstall.

Probably another 30 minutes for the axle (Someone here knows).

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The biggest potential timewaster is removal of rusted fasteners:evil:

If everything comes undone without much trouble, the above estimates of 1 - 2 hours are a very good guide:)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi, How old are the ball joints? My boltswere a bear to remove so I just replaced them then . I'd say 1.5 hours if you are prepared ,6 hours if you are real stupid , and have been drinking lots . :cheesy: Pat

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
It's one of those jobs that could be wrapped up in 1.5 hours, or take all day if everything conspires to get in your way!

If you remove and refit the tripod bearing on the driveshaft, then note that it will fit on the shaft one way only. One end of the tripod itself has a chamfer on the centre which meets a chamfer on the driveshaft. If you put the tripod on the wrong way up then you'll never get the circlip on the shaft.

If you lash the ball joint nuts with dismantling lubricant on several occasions before the work then they should come off. Use a breaker bar when loosening the nut. You may have difficulty removing the bolts from the ball joint, and the joint from the wishbone as they tend to seize. Again, dismantling oil is your friend.

Everyone moans about removing the CV joint from the driveshaft, but there's a knack :D After opening the clip, push the joint a little further down onto the shaft and then immediately pull it off - works every time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i was looking at my brake pads today and i noticed that the boot on the cv joint by the wheel was half missing. the inside is exposed and the grease is black now where i suppose it was once green. should i replace just the boot, or is it a better idea to replace the entire axel seeing as some damage might be done?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would replace either the joint or the entire axle--depending on what was cheaper.

Here in the US, it's cheaper to get an entire exchange-rebuilt axle than to buy a new CV joint.

·
Registered
906 Posts
IMHO, replace the entire shaft. Rebuilts are relatively inexpensive, they are less than $70.00 US. Then you also don't have to mess around with changing joints, etc. It's simply remove and replace.

I did one last weekend along with the lower A arm which was cracked. 2+ hours and that included having to improvise jacking points because the car was on grass and not on pavement and I didn't feel like having the car sink while working under it....

·
Registered
114 Posts
thats what i was afraid of. lousy boot. BTW, if my brake pads are quite low, would this turn on my antilock light as a warning?

·
Registered
57 Posts
cvc axle and brake pads

I changed my cvc axle and pads saturday took me 2 1/2 hours not complicated though just time comsuming. I bought a special tool to use on the brakes but it didn't fit found it was much easier to use needlenose pliers just open them to fit in the two holes and use them like a screwdriver. I am a mom if i can do it you can :cheesy:

·
Registered
114 Posts
haha! thanks, that gives me the confidence i needed mom. i got the axel for only 110 canadian, i was surprised. now to tear that sucker up and see what i can do :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts