SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to replace the outter CV boot on the Vig. I have the half shaft pulled out of the hub, and can't find the circlip to pull the CV joint off. I have looked at AllData, and it says the clip should be there. You all have said the clip should be there. But I can't find it. I can feel something inside the joint that is keeping it from being removed. I have used a hammer and a block of wood....nothing. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Once I get the CV joint off I can be done in about 20 minutes. But I can't get the joint off.

Please, Saab Central. You are my only hope!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It's there! Should be the first thing you see with the boot off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went by the dealership and took a look at their schemaics. No clip. You have to remove the whole drive shaft, put the half shaft in a vice, and wailin the CV joint with a hammer. It will pop right off. AllData.com sucks.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I do not think the 900ng uses the same design as the old Saab 900 did - on the "real" 900 the clip was accessible and visible after several minutes of cleaning - this is no clean job, but it was the second easiest I have ever encountered.

The diagram does show a detachable tripod bearing assembly at the inner joint..
If this is easy enough to separate, then a man could pull off the inner boot, slide off the old outer boot, replace it ,and then return the inner boot..
I have done this "short cut" with the '65 96/95 model a number of times...But I did tear one boot..
Also, back in '65 Saab issued a nifty special tool which allowed the hammer blows to be indirectly on the inner part of the CV - usually 2 or 3 hard taps were all that was necessary...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Not looked at alldata - that pic's from the Workshop Inst...etc. The only way to know is to clean all that grease off and look. The clip does appear buried though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
earthworm said:
The diagram does show a detachable tripod bearing assembly at the inner joint..
If this is easy enough to separate, then a man could pull off the inner boot, slide off the old outer boot, replace it ,and then return the inner boot..
And that's the route I have chosen to take.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts