SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any replacement CV boots? I had the front wheels off this weekend bleeding the brakes and I noticed the passenger side had slung grease all ofer the inside of the wheel. The driver's side has started to do it too, just not that badly. So I'd like to put new boots on before I have to replace the whole joint.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Whiteyfoo said:
Does anyone know of any replacement CV boots? I had the front wheels off this weekend bleeding the brakes and I noticed the passenger side had slung grease all ofer the inside of the wheel. The driver's side has started to do it too, just not that badly. So I'd like to put new boots on before I have to replace the whole joint.
www.thesaabsite.com has them for 15 bucks or so. Comes with boot (of course) clamps, snap ring and juice.

Tboy

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
44 83 517 is the PN for the bellows(Swedish trans), gaiter(English), Boot(American)..

Back in '84 the real Saab used a circlip on the shaft inside the CV joint. This made disassembly ever so easy.
I believe an experienced man could change a boot in an easy 20 minutes.
Now, I do not know if these GM Saabs have this same feature; the early 96V4 did not, so this was a 30 to 40 minute task for me - using two Saab special tools.

I suspect that even on the GM900 the axle can be withdrawn from the outer CV joint simply by squeezing the retaining clip. The CV joint can then stay in place.. Pull away the entire assembly and insert the new boot..
Worked fine on the '84; only the '65 96 was easier..

The joint boot should be changed when cracks in the rubber are observed. Ask how I know this....

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Have a look at these instructions for front strut removal ignore the bit about removing the brake calliper and stop at the point in the picture below.

Besides observing what a fine hand that is :lol: you'll see at this poiint the driveshaft accessable to service, from here you need to get the old boot out of the way, and then see where the driveshaft goes into the joint there is a wee circlip holding the shaft in place, it is necessary to hold this clip open and firmly tap the joint off the shaft; get rid of old boot fit new one to shaft, pack out joint with new grease and re-assemble, once you know how it's about a 45minute job with good DIY tools, no special tools are required the circlip can be held open with long nose pliers for example.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just to add that the ball joint can be helped by inserting a large cold-chisel between the steel strut nub and the aluminium lower arm i.e. a wedge. It fits without breaking the balljoint rubber. Just to put some preload on, not to split it that way.

Then go at the steel nub with a big hammer via a lump of iron to limit strikes on the balljoint, paint, calipers, CV joint and fingers ;oops:

A 16 year old 6'3" son with a 5' bar on the lower arm off the subframe helps too :)

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
earthworm said:
the real Saab

:nono; Still with the real saab talk?

Well, this mutt car owner didn't have too much trouble replacing the passenger CV boot. I had to stop mid replacement twice to go buy tools I didn't have, though.

Some do it w/o removing the strut carrier, but I found it too hard to work with that way.

That deal from the saabsite sounds good. I got mine from eeuro and had to buy my own grease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts