SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my much awaited CV Boot change for both sides, it's been long over due.

I have the left side taken apart, the way Jim Mesthene recommended (tie rod and ball joint method)

The middle ball joint bolt sheared in half... I'm probably going to replace all three with similar high strength bolts and nylocs. The whole ball joint bolt ordeal was a pain in the butt, as well as knuckles, forearm, and back! No job is complete til you bleed on it, right?

The tie rod was a bit of a pain, but I think the threads at the bottom (exposed) stripped, I don't know if this will be a problem in reassembly :eek:

As for things to replace, I read that you're supposed to replace all nylon lock nuts, as well as the wheel hub nut? Is this true? Is there any problem with reusing what has been on there? I'd probably have to order the parts because I'm certain no shop around me will have anything in stock.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You don't need to remove the ball joint or the tie rod end to get the drivershaft out. All you have to do is remove the lower strut bolts, cut the clip on the inside CV boot, pull the inner joint out of the cup, then tilt the steering pivot forward and pull the driveshaft out of the steering pivot.Yes, I would replace the ball joint fasteners, and use a torque wrench to tighten. They are fairly small bolts and its easy to overtorque them. Clean and grease the taper on the tie rod end and attachment point at the steering pivot so it will come out easily in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts