SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a 99 9-3 today that probably has a bad driver's inner joint.

Issue: Car vibrates from 40mph on up - seems to be driver's side - clutch seems strong. Tires have been balanced properly to my knowledge.

Dealer replaced the unit 8k ago but I doubt they replaced the entire assembly - just the assembly to the tripod bearing. Pretty sure the race is eff'd for the tripod bearing.

Does anyone know who can supply the entire assembly including the piece that the tripod bearing goes into?

I've done axles on Scoobies, but does anyone have a DIY on the replacement? I might just do both sides.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody? I was thinking NAPA is my best bet...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Does it vibrate more under load? If so it sounds like the inner driver is worn.

I got a complete (from splined end to splined end, including tripod housing) remanufactured unit from Napa for around $100 a few years ago. It has been fine so far, and thats on a modded car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it vibrates only when under acceleration - it's smooth coasting.

It's in my garage - rust free 9-3 for $1700 isn't a bad deal :)

I'll check my napa store.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UK? I'm in Iowa - used to be in Ames now I'm in Des Moines

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
The rebuilt CV axles that you buy at most any chain auto parts store are from A1 Cardone, and they all come with the inner driver. I just bought the driver's side at O'Reilly's and the passenger's side at CarQuest.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O'Reilly had a new, not reman'd axle for $71 - with no core charge. It is complete as well - end to end.

Hopefully i can tackle this tomorrow :)

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
O'Reilly had a new, not reman'd axle for $71 - with no core charge. It is complete as well - end to end.
Can you tell who makes it? I saw that they had new ones, but I was afraid they might be EMPI axles. I haven't heard the greatest things about them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
couldn't really tell who made the thing as there were no markings I could see other than the part number and another number under it.

Too damn hot out to swap the axle today :(

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
other note - what if it's the diff bearing?

I read those are pretty *****y to do... some say remove the trans? Others say dremmel it out?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ NICE info right there! I guess why not do it - it doesn't sound so bad now :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts