SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my JSP intercooler in, I had to get pretty creative with ways to fit it. It's three inches thick, and I forgot to tell Jak I had Euro headlights on my 85 SPG. So, in order to fit it behind the bigger lights, I had to tilt the radiator back towards the engine. Over time, the corner of the IC has rubbed a pretty good hole in my radiator. Instead of buying a new rad. and risking the same thing happening, I'm open to ideas as to how to fit the IC better.

First of all, I'm not giving up the headlights, and it seems like tilting the radiator and jamming the IC in there is not the solution either (go figure). So, I'm wondering how feasible it would be to cut the IC core down by about seven or eight rows, so that it slips underneath the lgihts, not behind. This would allow the IC to move forward, towards the bumper, and allow the rad. to be returned to the stock position. Pictures help, so the big red line is where I'm proposing to cut the IC core (then have the end tanks welded). Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
What if you just got different endtanks? My JSP FMIC is 3 inches thick and I havent noticed any problems.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't yours on an 87+ car though? The fitment issues with mine are because of the lights and short front area. I think my idea wouldn't be bad, and I doubt it would effect cooling TOO much.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I don't think that's such a fantastic idea. If you notice, the part you'd be cutting off is the part that's exposed to direct air flow behind the grille. The other part is behind the bumper, and does not see direct air flow. If you cut this off you are really reducing the cooling capacity of your cooler.

If it doesn't fit, sell it and get a different one. Perhaps something smaller?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Yeah... sell your IC... its worth a decent chunk $$$, and get this one. its thinner so it should work for you.

Actually that wont work if you don't wnat to cut anything out of your car...

Ebay perhaps?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if any of you guys have checked out the clearance on an older style 900 with euro lights, but it's next to none. If I were to get another IC, it would have to be short anyway, as to not interfere with the lights. I'll have to look into other options. Oh, and the reduced cooling would be okay, because I'm working on a good way to cut out the bumper were the license plate goes to have increased airflow.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing when I first put it in, but I think that would restrict flow to the upper part of the IC so much, that it might as well be cut off completely. Also, even notching the endtanks would still recquire the IC to tilt back into the rad. to clear the grill, etc. Am I right in assuming reducing the size but not the flow characteristics of the IC would reduce lag, along with some cooling abilities (which will be remedied by h20/meth injection soon)??

-Confused *** Tyler

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
This is going to sound cheesy, but what about just denting it?

I call it "cold setting" at work sometmes. :)

You would have to be careful not to crack anything...

But still, you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Palmer1980 said:
This is going to sound cheesy, but what about just denting it?

I call it "cold setting" at work sometmes. :)

You would have to be careful not to crack anything...

But still, you can't beat the price.

A man with a plan... I like it.

Also like B5S's idea. Don't get rid of the IC... thar's more than one way to skin a cat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts