SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months back i rolled my saab :cry: that sucked. but im fixing it, and to do so, im taking the rear end off of a 1997 saab se and putting it on the front end of my 1999 saab 9-3. The shop doing the work found natural seams which they can use to split my car in half, and weld the other half of the frame in place. This is running me about $5000, but i didnt have insurance and its gotta get fixed. lemme know what ya'll think

·
Registered
642 Posts
why wouldn't you thake that 5g's and buy like a used 99 9-3, also wouldn;t this be a major safety issue in a crash, with a pieced together car.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
phish86c said:
lemme know what ya'll think
I think I wouldn't want a ride in either car :nono;

·
Registered
611 Posts
First, get insurance next time before you drive the car

Second, I would agree take the 5 grand and put it towards another car...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I've heard of doing this with many cars, and lots of trucks, but never saabs. My parents used to buy cars like this every year. They would rotate out one every other year. These cars were all peiced together by the same mechanic. Just one of the cars they bought was a 1989 Chevy Celebrity. They bought it like this in May 1989 (about 5 months old as the car had a manufacture date of 1/89, my dad has all these records in the file cabnit) with 800 miles on the odometer. The bill of sale is $4495. Now I know cars were cheaper back then, but that same year my grandfather baught a holdover 1988 Olds Cutlas Ciera (I have the bill of sale to that too) for $9327. These cars are basically the same, just rebadged. I'd say they did fine in terms of a deal. My father always puts lots of miles on cars, typically 30k a year, and these cars were no different. So each car would get around 60k on them and they never had problems. It is because of these cars that my father still has no idea why I have to spend time and money to maintain my car. :evil:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but, are you quite mad?

You can't just go welding disparate parts of cars together. It is pure folly and totally illegal, in the UK at least. Spend the cash on a new car.

·
Registered
733 Posts
take the 5 grand and find a 9000 aero. sounds really sketchy. i have a 99 9-3 and a 94 aero and the aero is lot more comfertible (im 6 foot 4)

ben

·
Registered
487 Posts
i bought a perfectly working 97 for what your paying for the *** half!

don't do it man! sell the parts off the crashed one, and put the money into a new car!

·
Registered
642 Posts
good call on the 9000 aero, well within the price range and is a monster. I have seen some dyno that are outright scary

·
Registered
328 Posts
as if you needed another person saying this...

don't do it!!! i hope it's not too late to stop the project.
aside from being silly and probably illegal, here's another perspective for you: it's probably about as dangerous as chopping out your seatbelts and disconnecting your airbags! when i'm not hanging out in the desert i work EMS and on a crash rescue truck, and i've seen the fun sorts of things that happen to cars when they wreck. believe me, you don't want to screw around with what saab has done in terms of crash-worthiness. that's one of the major reasons i drive saabs in the first place!! go to google and search for "saabs save lives", and go to the first site that comes up to see some pictures of wrecked saabs that people walked away from.
definitely get a new car and part out the old one. an aero would definitely be a good choice.
and i know i don't have to add that you shouldn't be driving without insurance. pretty sure that's illegal too :nono; i HOPE you meant you just didn't have collision coverage on it.
i'll bet having insurance would have cost less than $5000!
don't mean to offend but (as you can tell) i'm fairly passionate because of my line of work!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it'll work

the shop thats doing it is extremely proffesional. i've seen pictures of there work and know, they'll do a good job. while i was at the shop at 3 time repeat customer actually came in, and immediately started praising their work. His car was a 3 series BMW which was hit from the back. The rear end was trashed so they cut off the back and put a new half on. Anyway, I wouldnt want another car, I love the car i've got now and am gonna stick with it.and for 5000 i couldnt get a 99 saab 9-3 with 70,000 on it. It never went to my insurance company so the title will still be clean, and because they are using seams already put in place by Saab it will be perfectly safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Assembling a salvage vehicle is not illegal (at least in the US), as long as the car has been disclosed as being assembled and not done under the table, without future buyers aware of the repairs. Assuming you already have a salvage title, the car will have to be reinspected by the DOT, and will be retitled as a "rebuilt" or "reassembled" vehicle. It's actually not that uncommon to take clips from two cars and reassemble, and as Stromer points out, rebuilt cars can be bought at considerable savings (about 30-50% less than normal retail).

As far as safety, as long as the repair is done by a qualified shop, and the welds are done to original spec, I completely disagree that the car's integrity is significantly affected (absolutely not to the same degree as not having seat belts or air bags). I'm speaking from personal experience - I had a chevy beretta after high school that was a rebuilt car. I was hit in the front/right by a drunk driver who ran a stop sign at 80 mph (I was going the speed limit of 55 mph in a perpendicular direction), and I walked away from the accident (he was not so lucky). The impact was enough to crack the engine block. Even though the car had been rebuilt, I would not say that the car behaved any differently than a car straight off the factory floor.

As for your case, phish, make the decision based on your car's mileage, replacement value, and resale value after the repairs, considering it will be a rebuilt title. Another option may be to sell the car as is (maybe for $1000 for engine, interior, and parts???) and use the $6000 towards a different car.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
you are absolutely insane. there are no two ways abotu it, buy another car for that much money, no insurance i thought you said, so what do youmean you never went to the insurance company? jhust buy another car, your ideal is miserable

edit: with a unibody vehicle like this one, it just seems silly, and probably wouoldnt work right, why waste time with the back half of an ng, when you could have the whole thing for less!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Totally insane....a 2 halfer.....lets hope if you do weld these 2 cars together you are never involved in a crash,because i think the car will fold up like a cardboard box...there is a reason why in certain countries this is illegal,that is because the car will have no structural strength what so ever....

just make sure that if you do this,fit a 4 point harness wear a crash helmet and fill the car with vast ammounts of foam rubber

·
Registered
133 Posts
bramftm said:
Totally insane....a 2 halfer.....lets hope if you do weld these 2 cars together you are never involved in a crash,because i think the car will fold up like a cardboard box...there is a reason why in certain countries this is illegal,that is because the car will have no structural strength what so ever....
I don't understand this opinion. Do you think your saab was CNC'd from one giant slab of metal??? Car construction involves welds. As long as these are duplicated with the same or better quality than the original, then this is not an issue.

Take a look at any picture of a car that has been in an accident. Do you see the car fail at the welds? I never have; the metal of the body and the frame crumples to absorb the impact force. The welds do not fail because it is the sheet metal and frame that is designed to fail.

Now, that said, it is illegal in the US to sell an assembled vehicle without disclosure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
just use that 5k on a new car. chopping and welding two cars isn't illegal in US, but it isn't smart. there are a lot of things that go wrong. and if you roll your saab and get in a good size wreck... you're dead. no questions asked. just use that money for like, i forget who said it, but a 9000.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I dont have any issues with welding two cars together as long as its done right!

What i have an issue with is if you dont disclose this to any future buyer that is if you plan to sell it at a later time! I would be extremely pissed if i found out that i bought a car that was built from other cars and not told!

I vote for buy a new car.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts