35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2008 saab 93. 2.0T
I LOVE THE CAR. i went from a 2004 chevy 2500 HD gas 6.0
9mpg on a good day.
to this 30+ on highway.

finally like cars now.
and love the saab, so unique.

ok anyways. i bought a drop in k&n because people say that works better or the same as the bsr aftermarket intake. i figure saab knew what they were doing when they designed that airbox. it looks legit.

dont get me wrong its a fast car. but i always have the erge for more power.

EXHAUST options? iv searched and couldnt find what im looking for.

i want a cheep change in my exhaust without throwing codes for CEL from the o2 censors. also want it to stay reasonably quiet. just more for performance/ mpg/ tone.

can someone point me in a direction, to cut the muffler and put a streight pipe? cut the resinator and keep the muffler? cut the cat?
what have people done, and what was the outcome?

or can someone point me to a good whole exhaust kit that i can look at and save for?

also people have said blow off valve.. but i hear our cars have the opisite of one?

anything cheeper than $500 for a tune for this car?

thanks guys.
ohhh and one more thing. i have a 03-05 enbach lowering kit, does it fit my car?
what should i sell it for? i was thinking 175 plusssss shipping.
:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
i was going to say
use the cash saved from exhuast and filter mods to just get a tune instead much more useful and stays nice and sleeper style

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JZW tune looks just as expencive almost as the bsr.
is the jzw in usa?

a shop up here said they could plug my car in and see if they can read the numbers. then give it to the tune guy to see if he can work it.
they said 300-500 for custom tune. should i go that rought? id realy like plug and play.
why doesnt superchips or one of the big companys make one?? realy corks me off.

i have no need for power, i just want alittle more. and i think a stage 1 tune would be perfect.
any other sights with tunes?
and no advice for the exhaust? just keep it all there? cat, muffler, resinator?
seams like too much restriction ya know?

·
Registered
290 Posts
the entire exhuast isnt sucking much power some aftermarket claim 5 bhp gains,,,i doubt they would want a public dyno test before and after though haha

at the lower stage of tunes its not holding much if anything back,if anything it gives a better torque spread for driveability

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get your car tuned by Vtuner or JZW. Their tunes have been proven to work well with our cars. As far as exhaust, you should get either an OBX downpipe for $300 or a Genuine Saab downpipe for $425 (includes race cat). Use the search function to research further.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
also i dont see where you can click and order anything with that JZW
you email/call him. you can either send in your ECU (very easy to remove) or for a little extra you can get a PPC and just hook it up to your OBD port to tune the car.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Just read JZW's site for what you need to do to upgrade your car to get to each stage. It is pretty simple.

Stage 1 ECU only 265 bhp and 280 ft-lbs of torque
Stage 2 cat back exhaust 271 bhp and 280 ft-lbs
Stage 3 full exhaust, i/c recommended. 281 bhp and 317 ft-lbs -
Stage 3 E-85 -60lb injectors, Sea-level Power: 327bhp and 391ft-lbs of torque
Stage 3 E-85 -60lb injectors, Denver Power: 305bhp and 351Ft-lbs
Stage 3+ Gasoline Tune Requires ETS Intercooler, Siemans Deka 60# injectors, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch, Full 3" Exhaust and ECU Tune makes 289BHP and 405NM of Torque
you can also upgrade your 14T turbo to 16T

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Exhaust wont do much but make more noise. As others have said a tune will be the best bang for the buck. Once it is tuned exhaust will have a slightly better increase.

Did you install the k&n already? Did it make the turbo a lot louder?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wouldnt say alot. but after a few days it grows on you. defenent improvement, after this i had my girlfriend drive back from vacation...

36mpg on the dash. calculated the quarter tank with 147 miles. thats over 36! (nice long drive at about 45-70 mostly 55mpg. shes a grandmother driver but it saves me money and keeps me from the police.

awsome car. i bought it for the milage but its a ripper.

i think i would go ppc. just gota wait for silver to go up and then ill sell and get one. :)
also what does it take for the turbo switch? do you need a tune then? and what all is involved? is it just a simple switch? anyone have a wright up on it? i apreciate all the imput.

i seen some kids yesterday at the park with their sweet honda or something all riced out, they all excitenly said;
"Hey! What kinda car is that!?"

SAAB

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and a tune? or no need for tune?
i think i would go with plug and play hp first with a tune in the first place. just gota save up. 700 is a lot of money for a programer.
but everyone thinks its worth it.

do you think stage 0 or 1 whatever the 1st stage is, will effect my tranny? or other parts in the drive system?

its an automatic 5 speed with tiptonic and sport mode.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
you need new coolant and oil lines for the bigger turbo
No he doesn't that's only for the linears from 03-05...

Cutting the muffler will make your car loud and drony, I know from experience...
Replacing your resonator with a straight pipe will give it a little more grunt but won't be noticeable when granny driving...

A tune is what you want, completely changes the car from a quick honda fighter to being able to run with the big boys

Im on my 3rd 9-3ss with the same tranny, you'll be fine. And big tuners like superchips or hp tuners haven't cracked this ecu is because they don't see the point.
There after $$$$ and there aren't many saab owners willing to get tuned let a lone many saabs on the road to begin with

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As far as the exhaust goes, you're not going to get any performance out of it without replacing the downpipe/cat. It'll be louder, but without getting that big hot restrictive cat (sounds dirty) away from the turbo a catback isn't going to gain you any power. And the intake doesn't either unfortunately, but it does make a world of difference getting to hear that turbo more. You're options for PPC are: JZW, Vtuner, BSR, Maptun. You're options for sending out your ECU are: JZW, Nordic (Genuine Saab would be the supplier) or Hirsch (don't even know how you get that tune with Saab belly up). You can try to find some smaller shops now that T8 has been cracked, but it's a gamble.

EDIT: Thought you had the full K&N intake, not just the drop in. I'm sure that flows better, but if you want more sound take a look at the DIY intake thread, that's a fun and (finally) cheap project with at least results in sound.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts