SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be purchasing a 2004 9-3 Aero from a friend. When he first bought it the radio did not work and us being stupid and not doing enough research cut one of the fiber optic cables right by the connector to Amp 1. We now know that we cant just splice fiber optic cables so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this or bring any functionality back to the radio. As far as I can see the whole fiber optic system is in a loop so if any of the connections are cut the whole system wont work. Could I program amp 1 out with a tech 2? I know that would disable the front door speakers but Its better than nothing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had same thing on my car when I got it.
There is a optical coupling join in the kick panel on the same side of the car as the amp1. I took the piece of optic cable from another car ( I had a donor car, but try a wrecker/breaker). and just ran a new piece in from the footwell to under the seat. It was fairly simple once I worked out how to get the terminations off (there is a guide somewhere on here).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I will soon be purchasing a 2004 9-3 Aero from a friend. When he first bought it the radio did not work and us being stupid and not doing enough research cut one of the fiber optic cables right by the connector to Amp 1. We now know that we cant just splice fiber optic cables so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this or bring any functionality back to the radio.
You can splice the fiber optic cable, sort of. I've done by cutting each end very cleanly with a new razor blade, then getting a short length (~ 0.5 in) of dark plastic tubing whose inner diameter is the same as the fiber's outer diameter, and put each cable in to the tubing so that they face each other squarely. Then try the stereo and see if everything lights up again. If not, move or rotate the cables around a little and try again. As soon as it works, don't move anything and epoxy both ends of the tubing so that the fiber ends don't come out (it usually either works the first time or not at all!). My success rate is about 80%, however when it doesn't work it's not clear to me why because I can see the red light on one end but the data somehow doesn't make it across. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Patch it back together.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Fiber optic cables just send info via light. The head unit sends info over this cable with light (red) that goes from one component to the next. The light has to go all the way around the car and back to the head unit. Where did you cut it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Idk what I was thinking I believe it is called the icm I was rushing to put a stereo in and cut the wiring harness but it was the icm not radio now car will not start. This car is my baby and it kills me that I cannot drive it

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
OUCH!
You need to fix wiring harness and replace optical fibers (yes 2 of them).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts