SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally was able to have my exhaust completed and it was well worth the wait. I took the car to Jak Stoll for fabrication and installation and here are some snaps of the trip up to the dreaded "Black Mountain, NC".

The drive up Black Mountain is an ominous one...

You can sense the ghosts of Saabs who have perished here...

At the top of the mountain I find Jak's place to have some great mountain views...

I brought the 2 Borla mufflers and dual 3" chrome tips with me...

The downpipe is a work of art...

And of course the view from the rear...

Workmanship is of course top notch. Full stainless with lifetime warranted mufflers mean I never have to deal with the exhaust again. The sound is great. As quiet as stock when cruising and a nice throaty moan when you open it up. From behind it definately lets you know something serious has passed you but inside the car it is not obtrusive at all. Boost is held all the way to redline now with no fading. Feels like I picked up 15hp easily in the upper rpms and it runs smooth as butter with the stage 1/2 software and minor intake mods.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great looking terrain XXXA, thats like from the film called "king of the hill" with i think it was harry hamlin ? No room for error when pacing on those type of roads and thats where you really have to be in tune with your instincts or its bye bye to your pride and joy ;oops:

What was the cost of the Exhaust and do u plan to rolltest the performance ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice exhaust and nice looking Aero.... :)

I would like to do the exhaust upgrade, but I don't want my car to be too loud. There are plenty of Hondas around town for that noise to get very annoying. I have a 2002 ARC, I wonder what the sound would be like on the V6.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's officially no longer stealthy under WOT, but when cruising it's very quiet and that's what I wanted. I don't think I have a sound recorder...let me try to figure something out. I have a recorder on my phone but I don't have it hooked up to the pc. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Nice job buddy! The tail pipes look awesome :cool:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I do have a laptop but dude I've got a Dell and the battery does not work...ac adapter power only. I'd love to get the thing on a dyno but it's a major ordeal trying to get anything Saab performance done around here as I have found out lately. It would involve another long drive I'm sure and I just finished washing all the bugs off. :cheesy:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Looks very tasty machine on that side shot:p

If you have or get yourself one of those cheap mics to plug into the side of the Dell. Record the exhaust on your phone, then play the sound back to your dell, and record it with the mic using the computer media player. Then upload to a website.

It would be good to hear the sound as im definetly going to get a sport exhaust at some point but like yourself, i require a quiet cruise then a little growl when the power is on

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thedriver said:
It would be good to hear the sound as im definetly going to get a sport exhaust at some point but like yourself, i require a quiet cruise then a little growl when the power is on
That's easy, get a wife, the faster you go the more noise they make :roll:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
That's easy, get a wife, the faster you go the more noise they make :roll:
I think id get fed up off the same noise all the time, so im very happy without the wife :nono;

But ive also heard the more money you bring in , the more ways they find to put it back out :cheesy: - Or am i being unkind here (hope theres no feminists on forum)

·
Registered
301 Posts
looks sweeet...any photos from below? i'm thinking about having jak fabricate one for my old 92 9000t...the 3" jt is about toast after 2.5 years, i guess you get what you pay for, stainless is definately the way to go if you plan on keeping your ride and in your case, a definate keeper. the downpipe looks much nicer than my bsr but fitment was perfect so i will not complain....and now the new intercooler and software and you will be half way to where you want to be.

nice job
dave

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got one showing the center muffler while he was doing the fabrication of the center section. He had built the downpipe prior to my coming down and it ended up fitting perfectly despite the car not being here. The rest of the system took some fine tuning to get just right though. Curving down and under the rear suspension was kinda tricky but the guy has some skills and knocked it out like it was nothing. I really like the way the car drives now and actually like the somewhat conservative tune of the stage 1/2 and the quick spooling of the stock turbo. The intercooler is definately next but at that point I'll definately want to get new software. I'm not so sure I'm going to go with SQR anymore though. We'll see. I emailed Automotion about getting a custom tune in August and they are taking their time to respond. Maybe they are just busy. I Might end up with Nordic despite the higher cost. I know the quality is there and there seems to be a better US customer support system in place if it's bought through GenuineSaab. It's pricey though and I need to have another big quarter at work to get more disposable. I'm also having a hard time fighting off the urge to do cosmetic stuff....aka Hirsch body kit. :cool: Talk about spendy though...after paint and install I'm 3 grand poorer. That's an IC, 18T turbo and software right there. For now though I don't have to worry about which decision to make cuz the funds arent there anyway. :roll:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The cat back is cool for a little sportier sound and slight slight backpressure reduction but for any significant backpressure reduction or performance benefit you have to get rid of the stock downpipe and cat. It's actually better to replace the downpipe and just leave the stock cat back than the other way around. I think Jak will build you a stainless downpipe/cat for barely more than you would pay for a cat back.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts