SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been digging around and I've seen some posts and threads of using fabric paint and vinyl wrapping interior pieces like the rear deck shelf (link broken) saw a cool pic of someone that used black fabric paint on the pillars as well as the headliner, and a not so good suede attempt IMO (no hard feelings if it was you, don't know til you try ;ol;). Still pondering, but I know Saabs need a little more interior. If I do different colors like black and red, the gray seats might look out of place, and there isn't a cheap way to get around that...and I have no idea how much aftermarket seats would cost or if they would even go into my car. Any opinions or thoughts? I'll throw up a bump if I plan on trying something.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I dont know about your Saab, but mine has some of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I would never want to get rid of them. My 2010 Aero seats are 10x better than my old 2011 Taurus SHO. I would like darker pillars and a headliner, but there is no way in hell I would attempt anything with them. Parts are scarce as it is. I did a suede headliner in my old neon and it turned out really good.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is an 04 and it is my daily, and I have an 03 as well. I will agree that the new gen 93 is way more comfortable, and they have really nice leather seats. Not that mine are uncomfortable, its all cosmetic.

Mainly I'm looking to use fabric paint on the pillars, rear deck and headliner, and maybe paint the underside portion of the dash under the steering wheel and glovebox. Not exactly "reupholstering", the texture is great, its colors are just too bland for me. Its all gray and tan, and I'm going for black with some red accents to match the exterior of my car.

I'm not someone to do something half assed, or do something completely unnecessary, but I do have taste, and if done right it could look pretty good. Yeah, "It's a Saab", but they deserve a little more style on the inside. But it would be a project, and I'm trying to gather some opinions and look at the whole picture.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm not so sure the red would look good. I'd have to see it. but good luck!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
View attachment 30336

Alright, so far I've got the rear deck painted with the vent and border of the speakers all painted red. Used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint from Advance Auto Parts, went on real well, pretty easy to take out and put back in. Cost me less than 25 bucks for 2 cans of black (1.5 just on the shelf) and 1 can of Red.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
View attachment 30336

Alright, so far I've got the rear deck painted with the vent and border of the speakers all painted red. Used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint from Advance Auto Parts, went on real well, pretty easy to take out and put back in. Cost me less than 25 bucks for 2 cans of black (1.5 just on the shelf) and 1 can of Red.
lol
- -
\___/

that was a ****ty attempt at saying it looks like a face. lol. but that looks cool, i cant wait to see the rest.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here's another picture, inside the car.

View attachment 30338

Planning on painting all of the pillars black (2 rear, 2 mid and 2 front), then maybe going after the headliner (if I can get it out of the car??) The only other red I would do, would be the plastic pieces under the steering wheel that runs under and along the column and the lower inside of the console, and the same for the other side under the dash.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the record Im not sure if those rear pillars come out without it breaking something. I might just leave it for now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The rear pillars come out easily. Pop off the air bag gizmos and remove the screw that sits way down inside, then pry the piece off. There's an antenna thread that has pictures of them removed.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Not feeling the random red pieces. They stick out too much.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are you gonna do the headliners too?
Not sure yet. I'd like to, but in production its inserted through the back window, not sure if I would be able to get it out the door without breaking it. It doesn't look too bad to be honest, but it would help everything match a little better if it was painted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts