SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting together a custom intercooler to replace the double pass in there now. I think buying a good intercooler, the lower radiator hose, and various mandrel bends off JCWhitney should get me a better setup than the Viggen kits for about the same price. I really only have two questions.

1. How big is the Viggen IC from endcap to endcap?
2. Does anyone have an actual picture of the turbo - intercooler hose labeled 4729950 in this picture?

If anyone has any other input please let me know.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
A few people have tried doing this. I know mike saunders has been successful in fitting a Spearco unit. Most people just buy from some of the verndors such as MP performance and Jak Stoll performance.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
OKay, so this is partially related:

The MP intercoolers at like, what? over 400ish? And the viggin cross-flow intercoolers are like $150 at europarts. (+ outragious hoses, I know...)

Considering the fact that I am *not* planning on upgrading the t25 turbo (planning, heh...) do you think the viggin crossflow would benefit me equally?

Or is the MP unit that much better to justify the cost?

Right now i'm running a 99 9-3se w/ the standard, non-hot intercooler...

peace,
bny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
well brew tide first i would walk out to your car check if u have a crossflow to begin with, then after seeing wether or not u do... u can go to eeuroparts and realize that the IC is 150$ but the pipes are about another 200$

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hey, brewtide. I will be upgrading from my cross-flow to the MP or Jak unit in a month at the most. I can cut at least $50 off the cost of the eEuro core if you can wait that long. Shoot me a pm or im if you're interested.

Oh, and I did the upgrade from dual pass to cross flow two months ago (for before the dyno day). In all of the hottest days, I haven't gotten any heat soak other than after the car has been sitting at idle. A intercooler doesn't do much if the car isn't moving anyways. It certainly is worthwhile, and I'm only upgrading now because I'll have a new ecu sppm and I want to go all out with the hardware.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Let's be a bit more discreet when hawking our IC's!:cheesy: Eh, you only spend $100 on hoses if you reuse one of your old ones ala ERP's website. Personally, I think the Viggen IC and better software are the most cost effective route.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
stromer said:
Hey, brewtide. I will be upgrading from my cross-flow to the MP or Jak unit in a month at the most. I can cut at least $50 off the cost of the eEuro core if you can wait that long. Shoot me a pm or im if you're interested.
We'll talk in private msg or on aim sometime about it; sounds like a plan to me though (and waiting, isn't an issue...)

stomer said:
Oh, and I did the upgrade from dual pass to cross flow two months ago (for before the dyno day). In all of the hottest days, I haven't gotten any heat soak other than after the car has been sitting at idle. A intercooler doesn't do much if the car isn't moving anyways. It certainly is worthwhile, and I'm only upgrading now because I'll have a new ecu sppm and I want to go all out with the hardware.
Good, I was hoping that it would be an increase that actually was worth the cost. And about your prior post about having the cross-flow, I do not believe I have it. It's silver, not 'black' (or whatever) and I *did* have the turbo silencer, which is now gone.

Although my car is a 1999 SE, it is the 185hp version (the non-HOT) which came out second half of that year and onward. Oh well, a few modifications and I'm there anyways...

We'll talk,
peace,
bny

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
DFroelich said:
I am thinking about putting together a custom intercooler to replace the double pass in there now. I think buying a good intercooler, the lower radiator hose, and various mandrel bends off JCWhitney should get me a better setup than the Viggen kits for about the same price. I really only have two questions.

1. How big is the Viggen IC from endcap to endcap?

If anyone has any other input please let me know.
The Viggen IC is the same size as the one you have (about 26 inches endcap to endcap, 31 inches from mount point to mount point.)

The measurement you want is max length from intake port to exit port, which is also dictated by the pre-existing openings in the radiator mount. You should be looking at an IC that's about 28 inches long if both the end tanks are pointing back toward the engine....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mike. I have not been able to find too many intercoolers with the endcaps pointing backwards. Full-race makes thiers with one facing back, but they are much more than the MP IC. If I was going to fit a normal endcaps, then I couldnt get anything longer than 20" to have room for the bends coming out.

I don't know anyone who welds aluminum, so the price for custom endtanks on a ~24" core would again put me over MP's price.

Are there any manufacturers that make intercoolers with the inlets and outlets facing backwards?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
www.bellintercoolers.com, run by Corky Bell....

Once you factor in the core and the cost to have the end tanks welded, you're probably at the MP price or higher. Both Bell and MP use high-quality bar-and-plate cores....

I used a Spearco IC that needed some custom piping. It flows more than the MP, but the fabrication effort was considerable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts