SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I am planning on tearing the carpet out of my car and I would like to replace it with something a little bit more durable... something that can be easily cleaned and still looks nice (possibly diamond plate or a different metal).

I am wondering if anybody has installed a custom floor. If so, pics would be greatly appreciated.

also, any opinions on what material/color to use and diff. ways to install it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for all the help!
Shane

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
What are you going to do with the car?

Diamond plate is heavy and slippery. You could use truck bed liner, which is waterproof and durable, but is also heavy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
please do not diamond plate the inside of your car :eek:
if anything get custom black carpet put down or have someone pull the carpet from there saab

·
Registered
997 Posts
Wait you're going to tear out the carpet? why not just put floor mats? probably 10x easier to get some sort of molded floor mat than take the interior apart...

I would stay away from metal b/c it adds weight, looks terrible (unless constantly cleaned), and limits access.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, I was not actually thinking of diamond plating.... that was just an example. And that was one of my concerns was that metal would be to heavy, which is why I am trying to find a different material. Hopefully something that is light/thin, with preferably a smooth look (not fussy like carpet). I would prefer that it is black and can be easily washed out with no problems. Would something like vinyl be a possibility?

sorry for not making myself clear in the original post... I was half asleep at the time.

thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any opinions on linoleum? would it bend to fit the corners that it would have to fit into? is it light enough? etc.

thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
No linoleum. That belongs on a kitchen floor.

Get fitted floor mats and save yourself from doing something utterly pointless...and hating it six months after you do it.

You won't be able to find anything that can be "easily washed out with no problems." If that's what you absolutely want, buy a Jeep CJ.

Seriously...

If you're looking for absolute ease of care, take out everything and apply a bed liner like RhinoLiner or Herculiner. The prep will be brutal, though. Removing the sound-deadening material and getting down to bare metal is a royal PITA

·
Registered
227 Posts
Linoleum, are you joking! When i first read that I was on the floor laughing. I would love to see some pics if someone actuallly did that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seriously...

If you're looking for absolute ease of care, take out everything and apply a bed liner like RhinoLiner or Herculiner. The prep will be brutal, though. Removing the sound-deadening material and getting down to bare metal is a royal PITA
Thanks for that info ^

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't want carpet, bed liner is probably your best bet, and will add some noise dampening. I've seen it in a fair number of trucks, but never a car. It would be interesting to see.
That is my fear with bed liner (or anything other than carpet) is that it is more fitting for a truck.

Another thought I had was laminate flooring (wood floors), but I think that would be too much if the entire floor was wooden.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've tried to resist... ;oops:
I'm with Mike on his comments, but they do say "To each, his own" That being said... If you didn't live in the land of beer and cheese (oh and beer cheese soup, what is with that!?) I'd suggest Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia so you could watch it grow, but artificial turf would be better considering the climate..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've tried to resist... ;oops:
I'm with Mike on his comments, but they do say "To each, his own" That being said... If you didn't live in the land of beer and cheese (oh and beer cheese soup, what is with that!?) I'd suggest Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia so you could watch it grow, but artificial turf would be better considering the climate..
not sure what to say to that, but thanks???

oh, and... It's not my fault we have been out drinking your state since 1848 ;)

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'd suggest concrete. Make sure the car is level, and any holes are plugged, then pour in the concrete. It will sit level and offer a nice durable surface as long as has some re-bar mesh in it. If you would like to make it looks a bit nicer, use some acid etching on it once it has cured, then a semi-gloss sealer.

Seriously though, have you seen what is under the carpets? Once the sound deadening and carpet is removed, the surface is anything but flat. I lack any good photos of the front footwell, but there I think with all the wiring that runs along the floor, as well as the general shape of the spaces that are normally covered in carpet, it would be hard to get anything to pay down and look good.

If you did go with a metal floor, you would have to lay it over the existing floor, and you would still end up with wiring on it, as well as probably 100X more rattles than before since it would be sitting atop the floorpan.

Wood...now that would be interesting. Anything is possible if you have the skills and knowledge, or the means to pay someone who does.

Personally, I think unless you have lots of time and/or money to invest, it will end up looking far worse then the standard carpet.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I love threads like these, so frickn entertaining. Just buy those weather guard floor matts you see in r&t.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sleeper9kt- thanks for that picture... I appreciate the info about our floors.

I may just end up going with some sort of black fabric over the already installed carpet, but I would possibly like to get the old out of there and start fresh. we will see.

I love threads like these, so frickn entertaining. Just buy those weather guard floor matts you see in r&t.
lms- thanks, but I already have a set of Lloyd floor mats that fit snug in the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts