SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done fiberglassing my box. Notice all of the trunk space still available, (oh and a little a 15" T1 Rockford Subwoofer)

Its obviously not done yet, I still need to make a custom bracket to mount the amp under the rear deck lid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tail lights, license plate frame, the rear deck lid, and the frame around the sunroof rattles a little bit, but it isn't nearly as bad as a honda civic or similar. I think it will be an easy fix with some dynamat. The metal on the car is pretty solid overall.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I was just curious. There are adjuster bolts up toward the hinges that might help to tighten the trunk lid when its closed. Even my rear plate can rattle with stock speakers and the right song. Its never been enough for me to do anything about it. Maybe some rubber bits sandwiched inbetween would take care of that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not having the same problem as you are. Is your trunk weather stripping worn down? I think the trunk should seal up by itself unless it is warped or came out of adjustment. On the trunk it is definitely the inner tail lights causing the rattle. The bolts that hold them on may just need to be tightened. I usually don't listen to my music too loud so it is not a problem for me. I can only hear rattling from the sunroof and the rear deck lid in the interior of the car.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
oh nevermind, I though I read that your trunk rattled but it was your rear deck. My trunk closes and seals well and its just the plate that rattles occasionally. It would probably be a one minute fix. ;oops:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have about 200 into materials and maybe 6-8 hours into the box. I didn't make the box big enough, so I will be re-doing the box with a different sub, either a type r 12" or a JL10W7 (not inverted) The Rockford 15 wants 2-2.5 cubic feet of air space and I am only giving it around 1.4. It sounds good at normal listening volumes but when I turn it up it struggles to hit a few notes. :confused:\

Ill update you with more pics when I tear the box apart again. I didn't take any pics of the build because my Iphone was broken, but it is fixed now.

"Goodbye trunk space..."?

You should have seen the coffin I had with two rockford P3's last year! Waaay too big,

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Great work, but where is the spare wheel? :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have about 200 into materials and maybe 6-8 hours into the box. I didn't make the box big enough, so I will be re-doing the box with a different sub, either a type r 12" or a JL10W7 (not inverted) The Rockford 15 wants 2-2.5 cubic feet of air space and I am only giving it around 1.4. It sounds good at normal listening volumes but when I turn it up it struggles to hit a few notes. :confused:\
I went for a 10" Rockford sub, and it fits perfectly in the corner of the trunk:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Wow, now thats very tidy :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
After about an hour of trying to adjust the 9 bands or so of EQ for my sub with my spectrum analyzer, I gave up on the set up. I wasn't satisfied with the sound quality of the inverted T1 so I am switching it up. As we speak I am re-doing the face of my box to accommodate a flush mounted 10" infinity perfect m3d and have one of the new really thin infinity five channel amps. This is definitely not a "boomy" setup but I believe it will be able to achieve good sound quality at a little higher volume than the 10 year old harmon kardon speakers.

Nice work with the wagon! It looks really clean. This was my first fiberglass box I have made and I think I can make it fit a little better next time. (this one may be for sale in like a year)

Chris: haha spare wheel has a long story. I first made the box to sit on the driver side like the wagon above, but one of my friends pointed out that should be on the other side to counter the weight from the driver. (does that make sense?) Well I made the templates for the box out of cardboard on the driver side trunk then just turned them over to fit the other side. What I didn't realize is that the opening for the spare tire is not centered in the trunk! It actually sits about an inch or so closer to the right, making the box's lip hang over tooo much :/ (and I made the box's face too big)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New pictures of refinished fiberglass box

Finished with the box. It sounds amazing for a 10" sub. The Infinity has 3 different inserts to choose from. Because my box is quite large I did not use an insert, making the sub hit the same frequencies a 12" subwoofer. Notice the sub is flush mounted :cool:

Here are the pictures:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.