SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was bored and wanted to jazz up the engine compartment of the old Saab.

So, 1 can of Duplicolor red engine paint + 1 Swedish airforce sticker =

Cheap project, happy with the outcome. Not sure how long it will hold up, but...who cares? :)

-DJ

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Oooh, not bad, now you ahve to put a bit more orange under the hood and you'll have it looking show quality.

I have to re do my engine paint soon.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I like it. It's not gaudy, it's just a nice little dress up item, and who wants to look at an ugly engine compartment? What you've got is a lot better than just plain black.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Good idea on the DIC...I will prolly be buying a replacement one soon anyway, so I may wait until I get that in my hands. Although I must say, this picture makes the color differential between the cover and the DIC look greater than it really is. They are fairly close. Sort of.

As for the oil filler cap...yes, it is filthy AND has a slight crack. I wonder if anyone has some sexxy billet aluminum piece I could replace it with?

-DJ

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeah, I painted mine awhile ago. Which brings me to a question:

What do you guys use to keep your engine bay shiny and clean?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
saab_family said:
oh ya, where can I get some of those stickers??!

I got mine from e l k pa r t s

·
Registered
346 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
yeah, that site didn't reaelly have anything to clean the engine externals.

What type of faom scrubber do you use godson?
i use stuff from my work (aviation approved lol) called amberclens. also another way is leave the engine running and use your car shampoo rince off dry with cloths (when drying plz turn off engine dont want no reports of a severd hand or anuthing :nono; ) then use WD40 and cloths.also another way is get a steamcleaner (expencive i know but could be one in local area pay to use type thing??? o or if cleaver lyk me :cheesy: :cheesy: lol erm use a power washer??) but before applying any water use a thing called TFR (traffic film remover) what valaters use on your engine makes it realy clean takes off all dirt and grime that is making your engines look nasty.then to get the shine the good old WD40 n a cloth.have fun lol

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
ambercleans.... is it used for aircraft? If so I could get some from my father; he's an aircraft mechanic for UPS. That would be too convenient.

Also, with the power washer thing, I've always been afraid that I would hurt some electrical device or knock something lose.

·
Registered
346 Posts
naa a steamcleaner has much more power in the jet than a household power washer and the only things i broke with the steamcleaner was a jaguar and a alfa with a t-spark engine as they are bad for letting water enter the cylinders.aslong as you are careful not sticking the jet right up to stuff then you will be fine.o and KEEP THE ENGINE RUNNING lol. the amberclens is what our company buys its a anti-static foaming cleaner. its great stuff i use it on my windscreen when the bugs have go at trying to get into the car lol then after wiped off use glass cleaner to get ride of any smear marks. you can also clean the interior of your car with it is basicly for everything and makes your dash shine nice to.best thing is ask your dad and he will tell you if ups use is.

·
Registered
346 Posts
gd gd best start this convo on pm's or pplz going to get all up tight that we not chatting about the engine cover hehehe nice by the way :cheesy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts