SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i know a "cold air intake" doesn't really do a whole lot of anything on a car with a turbo but seeing that the previuous owner put a open element air filter on the car i decided i'd make an airbox to kind of seclude an area where fresh cooler air would come from around the headlight and surround the filter. not sure how much good it really does. but the stainless looks good.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks damn good to me. I fabbed one a couple months ago out of styrofoam insulation which I covered in fiberglass and painted. It seems to work well. I still have the hood insulation so I used it as the lid. I surrounded the top of the box with aluminum weather stripping tape (I guess that's what it's called) and sealed the other edges with plain aluminum tape.
I also have a duct from where my pass. side fog light used to be (before it shattered) that feeds the box.
I ditched the crinkle intake tube and used 3" steel to weld up another less restrictive unit.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Heath said:
Looks damn good to me. I fabbed one a couple months ago out of styrofoam insulation which I covered in fiberglass and painted. It seems to work well. I still have the hood insulation so I used it as the lid. I surrounded the top of the box with aluminum weather stripping tape (I guess that's what it's called) and sealed the other edges with plain aluminum tape.
I also have a duct from where my pass. side fog light used to be (before it shattered) that feeds the box.
I ditched the crinkle intake tube and used 3" steel to weld up another less restrictive unit.
I was thinking about doing the fog light thing too, but I'm affraid that it will put the mouth to low and water/ snow could get slammed up into it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9-3sleeper said:
Huh. not bad. What was the benefit of doing this?

And is that the weather stripping from the rear of the hood?
the benefit is minimal if any, to keep the intake filter surrounded by cooler air, and no that isn't the weatherstripping from the back of the hood. it's all new stuff. i work in a shop where we make air handling and filtration units and there was some extra laying around. the whole box itself didn't cost me a penny to make. just my time. so i'd say it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Nice... I asked about the weather stripping becasue thats what I used to help the GS heat shield make a seal with my hood. :)

Im in college so I have to get a bit creative.

Post some results on how big of a difference in air temperature the box gives you, I'd be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9-3sleeper said:
Post some results on how big of a difference in air temperature the box gives you, I'd be interested in knowing.
i thought about doing that but not really sure on how to go about it. especially inexpensively, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe what i could do is take the temp sensor that sits in the lower front grille on the car and move it into the box, drive it around and get an average temp at normal operating temps, and then place it into the open engine compartment next to the box and take that reading. it might not be very accurate, but it will give a rough estimate at least. and it wouldn't cost anything either. not to mention it would give a readout on the sid

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I used a profesional temp sensor that a hot water heater guy left in my house :evil: yes, Im an ***.

but they should be pretty cheap, just go to lowes or something. do one run with the sensor in the engine bay near the intake, and another run with the sensor inside the air box.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i'll figure something out. gotta wait until next week's paycheck though. already wasted this one on an oxygen sensor and a new fuel pump. i hate surprises

·
Registered
232 Posts
For what it's worth I can pop my hood after a hard run and put one hand inside the intake box and the other almost anywhere else in the engine bay and it's always quite a bit cooler in the box.
As for the water/snow I can only comment on the water: Hard rain had no issues, neither did leaving the car running while in a brushless "Laser Wash" automatic car wash on several occasions.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i'm pretty sure there's a decent difference or else they wouldn't design the intakes with those heat shields, but it would be nice to know what exactly the temp difference is. i think i'm gonna do the thing with the temp sensor tomorrow if it isn't too hard to move it from one place to another. i'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
turbojohnny said:
yeah i'll figure something out. gotta wait until next week's paycheck though. already wasted this one on an oxygen sensor and a new fuel pump. i hate surprises
Man do I feel you there.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Nice work, turbojohnny....

Since there's always a nice flow of cool air coming up from under the headlight, this ensures that the intake is in a nice pool of it.....

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The intake Cobra pipe looks different than stock. Do you have a different turbo on your car? Due to the newer T7's having a different turbo(either GT17 or TD04, the cobra pipe comes up higher than that of the T5 T25 turbo piping.

Looks nice.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SPATL said:
The intake Cobra pipe looks different than stock. Do you have a different turbo on your car? Due to the newer T7's having a different turbo(either GT17 or TD04, the cobra pipe comes up higher than that of the T5 T25 turbo piping.

Looks nice.
to be honest with you i have absolutely no idea which turbo i have on my car. i just bought it about four months ago. when i got it the previous owner (supposedly a mechanic) had replaced the turbo with one from a newer 93. but he never actually told me what model or year, and he had put a mbc on it which got me into a lot of trouble, i cranked it up to 20psi not knowing what i was doing and it was running awesome, for about a day until i blew a hole through the transmission case i think it was the differential. so anyway i can find out what turbo i have? oh and if you mean that cast piece on the turbo intake i'm not sure. but the black plastic piece of off a ford wagon. lol fords work better in pieces

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
more pics

temperature at normal operating temps right outside of the box

temperature inside the box, at normal operating temps

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Being that under stock conditions, you aren't able to boost past 15.5 psi so he did other things as well to your car if you were able to boostthat high. Secondly, MBC's even in that range don't blow holes in your transmission case. These things don't typically go together.

If you inspect the turbo on all sides, you might be able to find a something that will identify it. Mitsu TD04's have a plate on them, on the down side of it, that identify it as such. Use a little mirror and you will find it. If it says Garrett on the casing, it is probably a GT17.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry i've been out of town putting up a spraybooth, haven't had a chance to get at a computer.
and yeah i forgot to mention that the previous owner had installed a stage 3 ecu from nordic, that might help performance a bit. but the exhaust is a bosal replacement for a 93, i modded it by cutting out the forward resonator and putting a straight pipe in, and then i put a different muffler and tip on the back. i also hollowed out the cat and welded a piece of exhaust pipe in it so there wouldn't be any turbulence. i'm gona go out and see what i can find for markings on the turbo.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I like that set up, a 20 deg drop in temp might nbot sound like a lot, but we all know how much it can change performance.

Nice work man. Now start mass production and you have yourself a small business. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts