SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, have a small problem with my aftermarket Cobra keyless entry and alarm on a 1993 900i, it is meant to alarm the car and lock the doors plus obviously the reverse upon entry, for some reason the alarm is still activating and deactivating but it has suddenly stopped locking and unlocking the doors.

The central locking is still working properly just using the key.

This is not a real Saab problem but am wondering where to start looking, by the way I have a spare control with the same result.

Appreciate any ideas if anyone has any pointers for me.

Thank you in advance.

·
4,637 Posts
Basically two possibilities.

1. The alarm unit has somehow lost its locking function (usually bad relay contacts). I have had some success with alarm units opening them and cleaning contacts. You can use a test lamp to check this. Disconnect the alarm wiring (2 wires) from the door motor and connect a test lamp to them instead. Try the alarm remote and the lamp should light for both lock and unlock. If not, the problem is wiring or alarm.

2. The door motor (or wiring) is bad. You can test this pretty easily by locating the alarm wiring, disconnecting it from the door motor and supplying 12V to the door motor. If that works, reverse polarity and test again. That confirms that the door motor works. Now you have to find the fault in the wiring...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Hello Watson ,

Been down this track , same alarm system , from my experience it will be the relay contacts within the alarm unit , the other very strong possibility is the little battery in your fob , It may be strong enough to activate alarm but not doors ( unlikely but possible )

Base SAAB central loking uses 3 wires at the drivers door , the fact that your key works eliminates them being at issue , also eliminates the often discussed dry solder joints in the main C/lock realy pack thats under the kneeboard .

Try the battery 1st , with the bonnet up and head near the cobra , you will hear the relays open and close if the fob is doing its Job . There is also a small pot inside the fob , that can be trimmed ( SLOWLY ) to adjust the signal .

I have some notes from Cobra somewhere , When I got my aero all the alarm wiring had been cut and the fob was missing , There is a crowd in Sydey that is the agent , they can provide fobs to a code on the PCB of the alarm , they also gave me a wiring diagram and some tips re setting up and faults ,

Just re read your post , IT REALLY DOES SOUND RELAY , easiest check is the audible one , Cds will prove it , but I think what you have said all but proves it and the audible will give you 100% . Clean contacts on relay .

Ps .. I need to talk to u before weekend ... Didnt get to see vehicle , seller tells me its all but sold , some guy from Canberra , :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies above, here is where I get to fully expose my electical ignorance to all and sundry, what exactly do you mean by the relay, is it the actual cobra piece of gadgetry if so do you mean remove cover and clean contacts inside. (no ego here, see, I can ask the dumb questions lol)

The very fact that I have tested the fob and the spare with the same results would not lend itself to being the battery would it (although if both are original I guess time span would maybe come into play, but doesnt use come into play).

I really do think this has illuminated my loft problem (golf expression-lack of f....... talent).

Les, yes have a flight booked into Melb. tomorow to go see silver, but tonight had a keen buyer for green, he will get back to me tomorrow morning, if it sells I may go hard at your "sister" in Sydney.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hey watson I had the same problem and it was the aftermarket solenoid (motor) in the drivers door -- cheap fix, bought a new one for $15. Whip the door trim off, find the wires going to the solenoid and apply 12v (9v from a battery will do) -- if it doesn't click, you need a new one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dennis I mean Special :D

Will check it out, am selling it but want it right for buyer, something about Karma which I believe in.

Cheers

SpecialTool said:
Hey watson I had the same problem and it was the aftermarket solenoid (motor) in the drivers door -- cheap fix, bought a new one for $15. Whip the door trim off, find the wires going to the solenoid and apply 12v (9v from a battery will do) -- if it doesn't click, you need a new one.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
watson said:
Thanks Dennis I mean Special :D

Will check it out, am selling it but want it right for buyer, something about Karma which I believe in.

Cheers
Some call it karma, others call it decency!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Not to sure I like the sound of that .... Go hard at sister :nono; Lucky I dont have a sister ,,lol :lol: . Lil birdy says u get into melb around 4 ??? Would love to catch up and would be happy to look at east bentleigh with u . see email...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Issue resolved

In the interest of someone else having a similar problem, I have been able to resolve my keyless issue.

After spending quite some time tracing, testing wiring, removing door trims more than once...) looking for the problem it turns out it was a simple $1.00 AUD 7.5a fuse, I will not tell you about me looking for a glass type inline fuse and completely missing the other type, I will not, I will not.....;oops:

Keyless entry mmmmm, love it when everything works the way it should.

Thanks to all assistance above and particularly Aussie900 who has been more than generous with his time.

Again, this a great board, it was great 6 years ago with a different colour and still is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts