SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's not centered either...I wonder if I fitted the '04 rear bumper if it would center up and the cutout is a bit closer to the center of the car...Either way I'm definitely getting an exhaust shop to shorten it. Looks a little ricer. :eek: Oh yeah and it's not tucked up high enough either...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
As far as centering and raising it, couldnt you just bend the brackets on the exhaust. :confused: When I was young and put an exhaust on my old civic, thats all I had to do to line it up properly. Just a shot.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mt.aero said:
As far as centering and raising it, couldnt you just bend the brackets on the exhaust. :confused: When I was young and put an exhaust on my old civic, thats all I had to do to line it up properly. Just a shot.
yeah that's all that's needed. I actually had to do that with the straight pipe brackets after the DP. Those brackets are very substantial BTW! I figure if I take it in to get them to delete a short portion before the tip anyway, they can center and tuck it pretty easily. Then again I guess I'm trying to reason my way into getting the '04 rear bumper anyway. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
j006 said:
yeah that's all that's needed. I actually had to do that with the straight pipe brackets after the DP. Those brackets are very substantial BTW! I figure if I take it in to get them to delete a short portion before the tip anyway, they can center and tuck it pretty easily. Then again I guess I'm trying to reason my way into getting the '04 rear bumper anyway. Cheers.
If you find a way to effectively accomplish all those things, please let me know. I tried bending the hangers briefly, but they are surprisingly very strong and I couldn't get it with pliers. I was thinking the reason they probably put the tip out further is so that carbon deposits don't appear on the bumper, but it didn't happen with the stock Aero tip... :confused:

·
Registered
800 Posts
j006 said:
definitely could be moved in and centered. ditto on the hangers, bending without heating them first won't do much. as for the height, don't tuck it completely against the bumper or it will be difficult to polish the exhaust tip. plus there is a little more build up larger pipes.

in black the '04 rear bumper doesn't seem like enough of a difference to warrant the change. the main difference is the 'diffuser' and it blends right in with the black paint making it less apparent. plus you've already done a fine job with the '04 front bumper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah i deffinantly would have that fixed asap... maybe try cutting out a few inches of exhaust pipe and have everything moved back until it's flush ?

that's one of the first things i try and take note of before buying an exhaust, i HATE exhausts that stick out.... i only have the res removed on my exhaust other then that its stock, so it's flush. but when i do get an exhaust it better fit flush as well!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Turbo-Snaab said:
Yeah i deffinantly would have that fixed asap... maybe try cutting out a few inches of exhaust pipe and have everything moved back until it's flush ?

that's one of the first things i try and take note of before buying an exhaust, i HATE exhausts that stick out.... i only have the res removed on my exhaust other then that its stock, so it's flush. but when i do get an exhaust it better fit flush as well!
I agree, I'm no fan of how the exhaust sticks out, however, I am very very happy with every other aspect of it. Exactly the sound I was looking for and it's hard to complain about that.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo-Snaab said:
yeah there's a short pipe welded on from the muffler to the tip; it shouldn't be a be big deal to cut that back a bit and re-weld.

SectorNine50 said:
I agree, I'm no fan of how the exhaust sticks out, however, I am very very happy with every other aspect of it. Exactly the sound I was looking for and it's hard to complain about that.
I agree Sector the sound is fantastic really. It's nice and subdued until you drop the hammer. :cheesy: When you get the downpipe it will get louder so be prepared. It's amazing what substituting 2 restrictive CATS for 1 race CAT will do for the flow and exhaust note. Cheers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The more I see of the CTI catback the more I want to get it done! I guess the only thing I have going is that you guys will have any bugs/issues figured out by the time I get to it in the spring. With no more garage to do work in through the cold NE winter that's what I'm left with.
Thanks btw J for the kind words about the color, other than the fact that I think mine's got more of the options than I could find elsewhere the cosmic blue is what i really lept at. I do need to figure out what to do with the busted front lip spoiler though... that has just been a pain. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
j006 said:
I agree Sector the sound is fantastic really. It's nice and subdued until you drop the hammer. :cheesy: When you get the downpipe it will get louder so be prepared. It's amazing what substituting 2 restrictive CATS for 1 race CAT will do for the flow and exhaust note. Cheers.
It gets that much louder, eh? It doesn't start droning in the cabin on the freeway does it...? :cry:

I might make you do some in-car videos now! :cool:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SectorNine50 said:
It gets that much louder, eh? It doesn't start droning in the cabin on the freeway does it...? :cry:
Nah it sounds very low key at highway speed and just tooling around town. I like pulling off at a stoplight very slowly and then dropping it. :cheesy: It scares the h3ll out of the people in the cars beside you. :eek: Don't worry though it's very SAAB-like and not ricer-ish at all.

SectorNine50 said:
I might make you do some in-car videos now! :cool:
I'll get right on it man stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'd definitely want to get it lined up right. Bending the hangars should solve that. It doesn't look like it sticks out too far in the pics.... perhaps they don't show it so well.

My Remus SaabSport exhaust sticks out pretty far, but I wouldn't call it ricer or excessive. I have burnt my leg on the tip before while reaching into the trunk though :confused:.

How far my tip extends:

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I kinda dig how the CTI tip sticks out a bit..... although I wish it was a bit more flat oval.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts