SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I have ran into some tranny problems, and can no longer afford to buy a stage 1 upgrade. However I was wondering how easy it would be to buy a cse ecu for my saab lpt. How much it would be, what i would need to get, and how easy it would be for a fairly novice mech. like myself to install?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Why?

As far as I'm aware (and I am technically challenged) there is no difference between a CS & CSE ECU, OK. HTH - that's way too many initials :eek: ;) !

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a difference between the ECU's. The turbo is the same in both the CS and the CSE. It is the ECU that controls the boost and makes the CS a LowPressureTurbo and the CSE the Full Pressure Turbo. As for swapping i haven't been able to get a straight answer. A lot of controls like antitheft, cruise control and more are built into that ECU so you have to find a perfect match.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depending on the MY, the conversion is pretty elementary. If you have a '96 or later LPT, then you need a '96 or later FPT, or Aero ECU, in order to keep the OBDII outputs. Most salvage yards in MA get about $150-200 for an ECU. Besides the ECU, a BPC solenoid and three lengths of vacuum hoses are all that's required.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All US spec' 9000 LPT's and FPT's have anti-theft and cruise control and each item has its' own control module. Essentially, the ECU's are the same, except for the APC control, which is only a difference in software.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The turbo is the same in both the CS and the CSE. It is the ECU that controls the boost and makes the CS a LowPressureTurbo and the CSE the Full Pressure Turbo.
Sorry to disagree but I don't think this is correct. :nono;

I have a CSE that's an LPT and my car is not unusual. Maybe it's different with non-UK cars but if not, it is the level of trim and NOT the ECU that's the difference. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
USA = LPT = CS. CSE = FPT.
UK & Euro = FPT & LPT= CS. CSE = FPT.

Different markets did different things... in UK and Euro they made CS in Full Pressure too. and everything was badged Ecopower right?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't know about the USA, but in the UK, as others have said, a CS and a CSE can both be either LPT or FPT. In other words, the "E" is trim level only.

As you say, although "Ecopower" started out referring to the LPT models, for a while it was applied to all turbo models. Later on they seemd to drop this, and sometimes used 2.3T vs. 2.3t to differentiate, the "T" being full pressure.

Confusingly, different models have differences regarding the presence or lack of turbo badges, depending on the year.

I think the only way to be sure is to see if the car has a boost gauge. LPT's do not - at least in the UK.

On the original question, over here LPT's came in two flavours, which changed over at some date (not sure when, sorry).. One type had the APC solenoid but no intercooler. The other type had an intercooler, but no APC solenoid. So, the original poster will need to add one or other of these items, in addition to a software change/ECU change.

Obviously he might still lack a boost guage and the right badges though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts