SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a se v6 cv. Although, surprisingly, the engine is in amazing condition but predictively the gearbox has several issues. When trying to select 5th I can move past it and my friend following me confirmed the reverse lights came on! Presumably something at the gear lever/gate end of things? More worrying is the fact that 2nd to 3rd shift crunches - synchromesh? 4th to 3rd downshift is fine.

Is this a GM gearbox like the engine? If so what are the options for a replacement or a repair?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Change your gearbox oil to either,

Redline MTL
pennzoil syncromesh
royal purple syncromax.

Changing to these oils should help clear up your crunchy gearbox.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
MTF0063 can't be bettered for eliminating syncro problems but if the gearbox is bad no oil will fix it. The problem with 5th is a different issue but common and easy to fix - do a search as it has been covered many times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure that's the problem. It's the first thing I'll fix next weekend. Thanks for the great advice. I'll find out what choices I have for gearbox oil in the UK during the week.;ol;;ol;;ol;

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
I've fixed syncro problems by switching to MTF0063. I can't and won't say the others won't do the same, but the 0063 has worked. YMMV.

After the change, you need to work it in. Bring the shifter to the gate, give the syncro a half second to spin up, then go into gear. Do this for months, slowly shortening the time you wait at the gate down to about a quarter second over the next six months to a year. The syncros will slowly clean out.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
With what ? (certainly not Redline MTF as Iv'e tried it;))
Pennzoil syncromesh. It's a mineral based oil, and the syncros love it. It's a bit thicker than 0063.

I'm not saying that 0063 won't help a crunchy gearbox because it probably will. But it is real thin, watery thin. And the 5 bottle flush procedure that you need to do to run the stuff makes it expensive, and a waste of oil.

A Saab factory gearbox expert on the TSL says that he noticed gearboxes failing alot more when Saab switched to 0063.

He recommends Pennzoil synromesh (GM syncromesh ,same stuff). And if you can't get that, use Royal Purple syncromax (synthetic oil).

I have Redline MT-85 in my box at the mo. It's good. But I don't have a crunchy box. I am just about to change the Royal purple. Only because I can't get the Pennzoil syncromesh here in OZ.

If you drive you car easy and never flog it, the 0063 will be fine.

But, if you drive you car hard, use the Pennzoil or royal Purple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts