SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control is not working. I can turn on the system, and the dash light turns on, but the car doesn't respond when I try to set a speed. The throttle cable under the hood is loose compared to the main accelerator throttle cable. Could this be the culprit, and if so...is the cable adjustable, or do I need to order a replacement?

BTW, the fuse is fine.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The cable for the cruise control is a little more loose that the main throttle cable, but does not seem to interfere with the cruise on my car.

The cruise control computer has a self-diagnostic mode. That was what I used to find a cruise cut-off switch that needed re-aligning at the clutch pedal on my car (there are switches for the cruise on the clutch pedal and on the brake). The step-by-step procedure is posted on saabsite.com, in the FAQ section under 900 (94-98) Faqs Lots of steps, but easy to follow.

In my case the fix was simple, just pull the switch plunger out a bit, and let the internal rathet reset it to a working position. With the switch out of adjustment, the cruise did not work because clutch pedal position was not being detected.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe I didn't think to check those switches. I guess I got hung up on the cable, and let my tunnel-vision mess me up. I will check that out now.

Thank you

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked my bake and clutch position sensors, and found the problem. There is no clutch position sensor. :roll:

I bought this car a few days ago, and forgot to check the cruise control. (I left my checklist at home :evil: )What worries me, is that whoever removed the sensor did it because there was another problem somewhere further back in the wiring. Why wouldn't you replace such a cheap part?

If that is the case, could you splice the output from the clutch position sensor into the leads on the brake position sensor? Both of the pedals would still interrupt the cruise control. Do any other systems use these sensors?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
DFroelich said:
...could you splice the output from the clutch position sensor into the leads on the brake position sensor?
No, you need two for a reason. It would be a safety issue if you defeat this. I think the switch is around $20+ list, easy to get for less from people parting out a car online. It was probably removed because one of the small plastic ears snapped off due to age and brittle plastic, or just broke and fell off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once all the stores and junk yards open back up on Tuesday, I will pick up another sensor. I know it did not just fall off, because the plug was just dangling, and nothing was in the hole for the sensor. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts