SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some work over the weekend, however I cannot properly seal my downpipe to the turbo. The turbo's stud are cross-threaded;So pulled out 2/3 studs and tried replacing them with the old studs from my GT17. The holes in the new td-04 turbo are cross-threaded, what to do now? Ive heard of helicoil , but no experience using this before...

http://www.nwlink.com/~kbaker/Automotive/Helicoil_12_04/helicoil_12_04.html

what are my options???

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Did some work over the weekend, however I cannot properly seal my downpipe to the turbo. The turbo's stud are cross-threaded;So pulled out 2/3 studs and tried replacing them with the old studs from my GT17. The holes in the new td-04 turbo are cross-threaded, what to do now? Ive heard of helicoil , but no experience using this before...

http://www.nwlink.com/~kbaker/Automotive/Helicoil_12_04/helicoil_12_04.html

what are my options???
Why not just take the damaged parts to a machine shop. I'd think this to be better in the long run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true, but i was hoping to get it done quickly, it was difficult to install the turbo because 2 of the new lines were slightly bent. trying to avoid from taking out the turbo . Is there a site that offers the new studs and bolts for the turbo/downpipe?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
When I first tackled the turbo job, I just brought in the bad studs to Ace Hardware and got a high-temp bolt for cheap. Looks a little goofy if you notice it, but that's not a big deal for my engine bay

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Some auto parts stores and screw supply shops will carry the studs, too. They're just standard 8mm studs. The CarQuest by me has a nice selection of them, and Tacoma Screw, for anyone in the Seattle area, sells metric studs for less than a dollar each.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the stud advice, well what about the turbo itself? Its cross threaded so how could I fix it , you know D-I-Y job...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some auto parts stores and screw supply shops will carry the studs, too. They're just standard 8mm studs. The CarQuest by me has a nice selection of them, and Tacoma Screw, for anyone in the Seattle area, sells metric studs for less than a dollar each.
is 8mm 1.25 the correct size??? so far 3 different auto stores dont carry it, and the saab dealer in Houston,TX just closed down ,I can't find it on the websites, I do not want to pay genuinesaab $78 for them,just the basic studs will do... the other saab dealer left in Houston are not well informed about saabs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts