·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really nasty creaking squeak from my NSF

id guess its a ball joint, you here it getting in and out of the car,

you only need lift the wheel arch and erghhh creak

driving along its constant.

anyone know what part i need to order? im guessing control arm.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
grease the ARB outer bushing (at the bottom of shock absorber) or squirt some WD-40 and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a really nasty creaking squeak from my NSF

id guess its a ball joint, you here it getting in and out of the car,

you only need lift the wheel arch and erghhh creak

driving along its constant.

anyone know what part i need to order? im guessing control arm.
Control arm is a good bet, just get under there and inspect it carefully. I've had them break at the weld where the shock mount meets the opposite side of the control arm from the shock itself (opposite end of that rod, after the bend) and I've had them break near the weld where the arm meets the pivot. The damage is usually not subtle if you can already hear it just by getting into the car. Also a good time to replace the lower control arm bushings and the ball joints, which are also likely needing replacement.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Based on a safety inspection that was done on my car by a Saab indy shop, I eventually got around to replacing all four ball joints up front. Noticeable difference after it was done. Before, there was this one left-hand turn I made going home, road was slightly rippled by a manhole cover, and the car would always creak and groan going over it. After the ball joints were replaced, quiet as being in church.

Not saying that's your problem, but in my case, it was diagnosed by a Saab indy shop, and did the trick. Despite the indy shop's STRONG recommendation that I only use genuine Saab parts, I found some German-made ball joints that were about half the price, and they work just fine.

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
NSF?
I thought I knew all the TLAs (three letter acronyms)....
Creaking noises are almost always ball joints. You can "hear" it through your index finger touching the ball joint as your assistant leans on the fender.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Near Side Front, that's a general term in UK as is OSF or OSR or NSR, usally referring to tyresor area, but?
but coud be Nasty Stupid Fingymajig :lol:;ol;

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
Near Side Front, that's a general term in UK as is OSF or OSR or NSR, usally referring to tyresor area, but?
Near what?
OSF=Other Side Front?
We use Left and Right over here.

You people talk funny.....

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
OOOOOHHHHHH...new acronyms.. can add them to all my lofting acronyms...worse than Homer and donuts.....ahhhhhhhhh.......kind of like Tango Uniform status-Totally Unserviceable to you UK types, and Tits Up to us here in the States. How does that work for describing tire positions on a quad runner? What is near and far when you are centered?:lol:;ol;

·
Registered
599 Posts
Left or right usually works best...except when someone asks if that's left or right when standing outside looking at the front of the car, or inside sitting in the driver's seat, lol...us airfield types know it's from the pilot's or driver's perspective, not someone standing in the front looking at it, but there's always someone who asks!

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
OFF side meaning nearest to centre of road/ away from the kerb.
NS is nearest to the kerb SIMPLE:lol:;ol;
So drivers side US is off side, the same as drivers side UK as taken from the kerb as we drive on opposite side of the road , but that;s why I 'usually' reference items drivers side 'UK' or drivers 'USA' when answering thread questions re specific parts /positions so wether looking at the car from the front, or sitting in the drivers seat UK or USA you know what I am referrring to;ol; I hope:lol:

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
OFF side meaning nearest to centre of road/ away from the kerb.
NS is nearest to the kerb SIMPLE:lol:;ol;
So drivers side US is off side, the same as drivers side UK as taken from the kerb as we drive on opposite side of the road , but that;s why I 'usually' reference items drivers side 'UK' or drivers 'USA' when answering thread questions re specific parts /positions so wether looking at the car from the front, or sitting in the drivers seat UK or USA you know what I am referrring to;ol; I hope:lol:
The factory uses "Left" and "Right".

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The factory uses "Left" and "Right".
Left and right is as simple as it gets .... People just need to learn..accept ..understand that it does not matter if you are flying a concord .sitting at your pc ... .. driving a Saab Or riding Skippy the Kangaroo to work (speaking of which I need to check his toe pad pressures ) ... IT is determined Left or right from your seated position looking straight ahead .... and guess what you could be travelling to any point on a compass ...Your left is still your left ...

For those who may still be confused ... The location of your steering wheel is irrelevant . and the word left is easily tattooed on your left hand .... :lol:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the other LEFT !!!!

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
Kettle - Black? That's what's fun about it.
I have a Quebecois Canadian nephew, who's an American citizen, who's emigrated to London.
What with his Quebecois French (they think it's French anyway) and Canadian English, it's endless fun.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Left and right is as simple as it gets .... People just need to learn..accept ..understand that it does not matter if you are flying a concord .sitting at your pc ... .. driving a Saab Or riding Skippy the Kangaroo to work (speaking of which I need to check his toe pad pressures ) ... IT is determined Left or right from your seated position looking straight ahead .... and guess what you could be travelling to any point on a compass ...Your left is still your left ...

For those who may still be confused ... The location of your steering wheel is irrelevant . and the word left is easily tattooed on your left hand .... :lol:

I face the pilot when marshalling, or oncoming drivers when directing traffic. I point left to get them to go right. I also try to get fault descriptions from indivduals who have just learned any type of english language, or do not understand common acronyms to my work. I have, for a long time taken the simple step of presuming the other person does not have my frame of reference, and any acronym I use will be spelled out on first use. Having said that, Any progress on the noises?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts

when sitting in the bath and you let the plug out does the water swirl round left to right or right to left, as it's opposite in uk to OZ and I bet you never thought of it but it swirls to rotation of the earth so something are not always as the seem right oris that:lol::lol::lol:;ol; left

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
when sitting in the bath and you let the plug out does the water swirl round left to right or right to left, as it's opposite in uk to OZ and I bet you never thought of it but it swirls to rotation of the earth so something are not always as the seem right oris that:lol::lol::lol:;ol; left
It's called the Coriolis effect if you are interested.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
thought that was the disease you get for working down a coal mine..or was it a liver disease:lol: only kidding, I was interested....thank you
remembered about it from school..(many yrs ago lol:(:eek:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts