SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 has made a creaking noise from the left front suspension for quite a while now. Last fall I replaced the control arm, stanchion arm bushing, and strut mount on that side, but it made no difference. The sound mostly happens when I drive into my office's parking garage and make a right turn where the pavement flattens out, so the suspension is compressed and rotated. It also creaks sometimes when turning the wheel while the car's stationary. What else do you guys think it could be? The strut insert, a bad spring, or something else? The strut inserts aren't more than 3 years old, I don't think, but the springs are nearly 15 year old Abbotts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I replaced it the last time, but it was replaced maybe a couple of years before that with an SKF bearing.

·
Registered
16,855 Posts
I don't think I replaced it the last time, but it was replaced maybe a couple of years before that with an SKF bearing.
Does is sound like the spring winding up and then jumping? If you can get it to make it in the driveway, have someone turn the wheel while you hold on to the spring. If it's the bearing causing a "hop" you will feel it in the spring easily.

My money is on the bearing.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just a creak that happens either when the suspension is compressed a lot, or when I turn with the car stationary. I used to have the windup and pop sound, but like you said, that was a bad bearing. It really surprised me when replacing the control arm, stanchion arm bushing, and greasing up the sway bar bushings didn't fix the creak. The sway bar links aren't very old, either. I plan on taking it all apart again in another 1000 miles when I'm due for an oil change, because I need to reseal the oil pan and replace the turbo's oil drain with the proper one (I have a TD-04 with an eBay drain pipe).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts