SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately I have been experiancing a creaking sound that seems to come from the rear on the left hand side when i make a right hand turn. the last time i heard this noise it was being made by my exaust- the rubber hanger was broken on it - i fixed that and all was good until last week. i jacked up my rear yesterday and checked out some key things; all exaust hangers are in place, as is the entire system stable and secure. my springs and shocks all seem to be in good condition and have normal wear. i have read that wheel bearings might be the cause of this noise as i have read in some other threads ealier. would there be any visual indications of the bearings needing replacement? any other ideas?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't think you can see whether the wheel bearings are faulty, being that they are in the middle of the hub and all.

I test them by lifting the car and pulling and pushing the wheel by hand, to see if there's play or a clunky noise, but I'm unsure if this is the best way of testing or if it would really show small wear.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Are you sure it's from the outside of the car? Folding seats with funky latches can make some pretty loud creaking /squeaking noises from the rear. First few days I was getting it I thought it was from outside, but when I realized the seats didn't fold anymore things made a little more sense.

·
Banned
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seats are fine; it rattles and groans when i make a right hand turn only and only when the turns are sharp (significant lean in the corner), this happens basically at all speeds from 15mph up to 50mph depending on the curve.i'm positive that the sound is comming from the side that the exaust is on so i think it might be the pipe hitting something metal. i am baffled because my pipes are all clearly secure.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I have something similar happening to me, but i know what the deal is in my car, the parcel shelf has been removed and the metal sides that hold the shelf are welded to the body, one of my welds has half broken and this sqeeks at times as the body has some roll and twist around corners, you could have something like this happening or what about your boot floor and the plastic lock?

Put somebody in the back of your saab and drive around and ask them to listen out for the sound.
Hope this helps.

·
Banned
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matthew said:
What about Panhard rod bushings? Torque-arm bushings? Worth checking out.
those are some good places to check... are torque arms and torque rods the same thing by the way?

·
Banned
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matthew said:
Not sure... the torque arm is part 4 in the diagram below, and the Panhard rod is part 10:
definatly looks like a likely canidate; hopefully its just the bushings that need to be replaced

thanks matthew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts